Easy Touch 4 with IntelliFlo3 VSF Pool Pump

hyugen

Jul 26, 2023
Florida
Hello all,

We just recently bought a house with a pool that we knew had some issues. We have had terrible luck in having pool "professionals" fix it (but end up making it worse).

We have a single speed that now leaks at the seals and we were contemplating replacing the pump with a intelliflow3 vs, however, the pool company told us that it is not compatible since we have an easy touch 4 automation system. I have looked online to verify and have not found anything to confirm that.

To the experts, is it correct that the new intelliflow3 vs pump is not compatible with the easy touch 4 system? I am being told our easy touch 4 system is original to the house back in 2007 which means it is too dated.

Welcome to TFP.

Read Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading to learn about EasyTouch Version 1 and Version 2 systems.

You probably have a Version 1 system.

Version 1 Easytouch will do basic VS control of a IntelliFlo pump. Version 1 Easytouch will not control using Flow Rate with Intelliflo VSF pumps.

I have not heard of anyone running a IntelliFlo3 with a V1 EasyTiuch system to day with 109% certainty that it will work. But it is supposed to have basic VS controls.

Have you considered upgrading your automation? Pentair is discontinuing support for older automation this year including EasyTouch and trying to focus everyone on intelllicenter.

Not sure what your budget is…. It would not be cheap for sure but maybe worth looking into especially if you have other automation to run

🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the feedback!

We have considered upgrading the whole system. The other piece that is broken is the salt cell (ic20). We are being quoted $2500 to replace the salt cell and fix the single speed. (seems high to me). I asked about switching to a new Jandy system and they said they think it would be $5k to $6k (vs 1.75 pump, salt cell, automation). I asked about Jandy because i heard it was equal quality and cheaper.

Any suggestions/ thoughts on that? We want a trouble free pool but fixing the single speed in the short term and kicking the can is appealing vs just replacing everything.

Last edited:
Huygen,

I'm pretty sure that your current EasyTouch can control an IntelliFlo VS pump. Why do you think you need the InelliFlo3, rather than the standard IntelliFlo pump?

Using the little LCD on the main panel try this..

Menu,
Settings,
Pump, or IntelliFlo
Then see if there is an option for VS pump..

It might not be exactly like the above sequence, but it should be similar.

Please let us know what you find,

Also, show us a couple of pics of your current pump.

In my opinion, the idea that Jandy is better and cheaper, is just not true. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I asked about switching to a new Jandy system and they said they think it would be $5k to $6k (vs 1.75 pump, salt cell, automation). I asked about Jandy because i heard it was equal quality and cheaper.

Jandy is a step back from what you have. I had an Aqualink and dumped it for an IntelliCenter.

Two big things the Aqualink does not have is an outside display panel so you can program the system from the panel and over the air updates of the firmware.

FYI, The IntelliCenter upgrade kit costs $1,000. If you can connect up a stereo system then you can change the board in your panel and upgrade your EasyTouch to an IntelliCenter.

An IC20 cell costs $929 and replacing it involves 15 monutes of work unscrewing the two unions and attaching one cable.

How many gallons are in your pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.