Easy Touch 4 not controlling valve actuators

DallasRod

May 19, 2023
Plano, TX
This is my first post to the forum.

I recently replaced the transformer on my Easy Touch 4 controller. Everything seemed fine but I didn't check the valve actuators. Yesterday, I tried the spa and noticed that both actuators were dead. no LEDs lit. I checked fuses, wiring. and breakers. All were OK. I ran the self test on the board and there were no errors. I tried a front panel reset with no success.

Totally frustrated, I sent a message to Pentair asking if there could be an output problem that could not be detected by the self test. Haven't heard back yet.

As I started typing this, I realized that there was one thing I hadn't checked. I pulled the main power plug to the circuit board thinking one of the pins may have been misaligned. They looked OK. Then I plugged it back in and everything is good. Actuators are working and I'm heating up the spa.

I figured I'd still post this in case someone else has a similar experience.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Welcome to TFP.

I like single posts working through the problem and the resolution.

Reactions: mknauss
Rod,

So tell us why you replaced the System transformer to begin with???

Thanks,

Jim R.
That's the embarrassing part. This winter during a freeze, the pump shut off and I was alarmed to find that the main breaker had tripped. Desperate to get the pump back working, I closed the breaker. The pump started and then the breaker tripped again. This time the panel went dark. So I hardwired the pump to keep the water flowing and waited until it warmed up to find the problem. Not sure what caused the original problem.

I checked the voltages to the control board and found none so I knew I'd fryed the transformer. Replaced it and noticed that the pump was leaking at the bottom where the motor connects to the pump. So I got a seal kit for the pump. Pulled the pump and took it apart to find that the bottom bolts between motor housing and seal plate were frozen and the case broke when I tried to get them out. Pump was 9 years old so it didn't break my heart.

After a new transformer and new pump, this has been one of my more expensive startups. Thankfully, I'm retired and I was able to do all the work myself.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.