E05 error on Pentair master temp 400HD

farreljs

Jun 20, 2022
Scranton
Hello, yesterday I started getting an E05 error on my Pentair master temp 400 HD. I opened the heater up and put a multimeter across the flue temperature sensor and I got 3.8 ohms. So I’m assuming that the temperature sensor is OK.
The air intake is also fine and from what I can tell the water flow into and out of the heater is unchanged.

The heater will run for about 30 seconds to a minute and then shut off, which time the error message shows in the service here light comes on.

Should I just replace the temperature sensor anyway, as this seems to be the most common cause of this problem? I am just hesitant to do so since the multi meter is not reading zero ohms.

I did press the pool button and hold it while the heater was running and it just said 40. Yesterday when I pressed it there was actually a temperature reading of about 250°.

It’s a full week until someone can come out and look at my heater, which means I may not have a heater for the Fourth of July weekend. I would appreciate any help help you can provide. Thanks!

You should still check flow make sure no external bypass is open. I would pull the bottom bolt on the manifold and see if there is water in the combustion chamber. Are you sure the 40 wasn’t between cycles? I would try again and see how high it gets. What is the current water temp? If you have an infrared laser gun, you can check the flue temp and compare.

Last edited:
Did you check the links JamesW posted?
He’s come across this a few times. If the ohms check out and wiring is good and stack flue temp continue to register at 40. It’s a problem with the board measuring resistance.

Hello. All the wiring looks intact to the board. I am not savvy enough to measure continuity though. There is water in the manifold. The resistance across the SFS is 4.0 ohm.

The only thing that has changed is that there is now a symbol on the left side of the display which I presume represents the SFS. So I am assuming that the control board is telling me to replace it?

IMG_5267 (1).jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.