Dumping A Cup of Baking Soda In Your Pool Every Other Day Just Doesn't Seem Right

P

poolmagazine

I know a lot of folks use baking soda instead of pre-packaged alkalinity increases but there's a controversial pool care hack that touts baking soda as some sort of magic cure all. The advice has been shared a million times and recently went viral. This tip just doesn't seem to jibe with what I know about pool chemistry. It would seem to me that if you're routinely needing to add bicarb to your pool every other day, there is probably something else going on that needs to be addressed. Nothing about this video seems based on best practices or professional advice but got picked up by mainstream media outlets all the same. Thought I would open it up for debate here.

Attachments

• pool-care-hack.jpg
    pool-care-hack.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 34
Dont get me started!

seduce mr clean GIF by ADWEEK

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
People love “Hacks” and anyone can make any claim with zero logic or proof.

This one simple hearing hack improves your hearing by 1,000%.

Pouring this “secret” ingredient into your gas tank increases your mileage by 100X and gas companies are furious.

Doctors don’t want you to know this one simple trick to curing your cancer overnight.

The IRS doesn’t want you to know this one simple trick to paying zero taxes.

Reactions: poolmagazine
🙋‍♂️

In a 25k gallon pool, 1 cup of baking soda a day will raise the TA 10 weekly. Or 12k gallons every other day. It will aid the forever sinking TA/Ph from habitual puck use.

People love “Hacks” and anyone can make any claim with zero logic or proof.

This one simple hearing hack improves your hearing by 1,000%.

Pouring this “secret” ingredient into your gas tank increases your mileage by 100X and gas companies are furious.

Doctors don’t want you to know this one simple trick to curing your cancer overnight.

The IRS doesn’t want you to know this one simple trick to paying zero taxes.
Exactly. I did a podcast about these two hacks the other day with my friend who is a CPO instructor and we were talking about how these old wives' tales get regurgitated again and again as "hacks" then we had a good laugh comparing the baking soda and copper pipe hacks to how Robitussin cures everything from pneumonia to a broken leg.

🙋‍♂️

In a 25k gallon pool, 1 cup of baking soda a day will raise the TA 10 weekly. Or 12k gallons every other day. It will aid the forever sinking TA/Ph from habitual puck use.
A little sodium bicarb can sometimes be just what the doctor ordered but I'd be far out on a limb if I suggested people just dose their pool without testing the water and just make it part of their daily routine, no matter where they live, what type of pool they own, or what the environmental conditions are. I think that kind of careless advice being circulated out there on social media creates many more problems than it solves.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think that kind of careless advice creates much more problems than it solves.
#preach.

But the tab loving folks aren't testing or paying attention to anything anyway. They chew through tabs like they're tic-tacs and then dump and pray when it spirals out of control.

• Sad
Reactions: poolmagazine
#preach.

But the tab loving folks aren't testing or paying attention to anything anyway. They chew through tabs like they're tic-tacs and then dump and pray when it spirals out of control.

Just another pill for them to pop.

Don’t pills solve all your problems and make you feel better?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.