Dumping A Cup of Baking Soda In Your Pool Every Other Day Just Doesn't Seem Right

#preach.

But the tab loving folks aren't testing or paying attention to anything anyway. They chew through tabs like they're tic-tacs and then dump and pray when it spirals out of control.
Will never understand for the life of me why people won't invest a few bucks and an hour learning how a test kit works but will spend insane amounts of money on overdosing their pool with chemicals.

Reactions: Saturn94
Will never understand for the life of me why people won't invest a few bucks and an hour learning how a test kit works but will spend insane amounts of money on overdosing their pool with chemicals.
#preach 2.0 :ROFLMAO:

When the poolstore says they need to spend $176 on Caribbean Pool Dr 911 RX Clear Xtra Blue, TA up, Ph minus, and Algecide..... they're OK with that. We tell them they need an $80 TF100 to never set foot in the pool store again and they lose their minds.

#preach 2.0 :ROFLMAO:

When the poolstore says they need to spend $176 on Caribbean Pool Dr 911 RX Clear Xtra Blue, TA up, Ph minus, and Algecide..... they're OK with that. We tell them they need an $80 TF100 to never set foot in the pool store again and they lose their minds.
I learned my lesson 20 years ago when I brought in a water sample and the result said "SPEND $200"

Reactions: Diane e and Newdude
It helped me hook someone who's now a friend and happy TFP-er. They waltzed into the pool store with clear water and were advised to purchase *8* products.

Screenshot_20231009_201405_Chrome.jpg

My favorite part is the Banish adds copper which is tested at .4 and needs pool magnet plus.

And more banish of course.

Come back next week for your 'free test'. That'll be $162 for todays chems, would you like cash or charge ?

It helped me hook someone who's now a friend and happy TFP-er. They waltzed into the pool store with clear water and were advised to purchase *8* products.

View attachment 534913

My favorite part is the Banish adds copper which is tested at .4 and needs pool magnet plus.

And more banish of course.

Come back next week for your 'free test'. That'll be $162 for todays chems, would you like cash or charge ?
Exactly what I'm talking about.

I had a relative who swore baking soda was the magic pool cure all.
There’s many people who believe this and think that TA is the first thing you must adjust or your pool will never be clear. We all know this is the farthest thing from the truth & the last thing to adjust but still it persists! At least its a mostly harmless placebo unless they put in large amounts.
What gets me is the baking soda pucks- there’s no way to know what you’re getting by using those. They arent even 100% baking soda but folks buy em up & do what the package says “blindly put this in your skimmer without knowing what you actually need”

IMG_7828.jpeg
IMG_7827.jpeg
It’s not their fault- the package told them to! Ought to be illegal.

Reminds me of the advice a neighbor gave me when I started to maintain pool. He says forget all that water testing hassle, just put in a scoop a week of some “EZ Pool” product and it automatically balances the water and that’s it for dealing with the water. I didn’t know anything about pools but I knew that had to be impossible. The guy is a smart guy too, but he believed that enough to pass it on as advice. People believe what they want to believe so just tell them something they want to believe and they will believe it lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reminds me of the advice a neighbor gave me when I started to maintain pool. He says forget all that water testing hassle, just put in a scoop a week of some “EZ Pool” product and it automatically balances the water and that’s it for dealing with the water. I didn’t know anything about pools but I knew that had to be impossible. The guy is a smart guy too, but he believed that enough to pass it on as advice. People believe what they want to believe so just tell them something they want to believe and they will believe it lol.
I've heard some incredibly dumb advice from supposedly smart people too when it comes to pool care. Even from some industry folks who you would think would know better.

Reactions: Newdude and SoDel
Dry Ice is the most underrated MAGIC pool chemical ever!!! I add it to my pool and I never have to run my spa pump because the dry ice makes all the bubbles I need ... and it's CO2 which lower pH and starves all the microbes of oxygen that they need to breathe ... instant death and completely non-toxic to humans (unless you're overcome by the vapors and then you die too ... but we'll keep that part for the fine print ...)

tempImageh0JbHg.jpg

Dry Ice is the most underrated MAGIC pool chemical ever!!! I add it to my pool and I never have to run my spa pump because the dry ice makes all the bubbles I need ... and it's CO2 which lower pH and starves all the microbes of oxygen that they need to breathe ... instant death and completely non-toxic to humans (unless you're overcome by the vapors and then you die too ... but we'll keep that part for the fine print ...)
tempimageh0jbhg-jpg.535340

It makes a nice spooky effect for Halloween.

Note that Halloween will be on a Friday the 13th this year, so everyone please be extra careful.

1697136099135.png

The copper pipe is a good one to ensure the potential for copper stains down the line. The path of least resistance is definitely not a brick of copper. I had a friend put in a pool where the builder recommended adding a gallon of MA and 5 Lbs. baking soda at the same time every week. I shut that down real quick to protect their investment into their pool. The "hacks" and recommendations for pools can reach outlandish levels.

• Wow
Reactions: SoDel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.