Dry acid swim time

I would suggest you circulate the pool for 30 minutes and then test your pH to be sure it is above 7.2

In the future, it is much better for your equipment to use muriatic acid. Dry Acid is sodium bisulfate. The sulfates will destroy any metals in your pool system.

...it is much better for your equipment to use muriatic acid. Dry Acid is sodium bisulfate. The sulfates will destroy any metals in your pool system.

I'd recently begun using dry acid to lower pH in my 1,000 gal in-ground spa, and I've only used a few ounces of a 5 Lb container. But I now see that sulfate build-up is a concern. Is there any way to test for sulfate concentration in the water? In other words should I switch back to muriatic acid immediately, or could I use a bit more of that jug of pH Down before making the switch?

Last edited:
If you change out the water often, it is not much of a concern. If not, then I would not use much of the dry acid. I do not know of a test for the sulfates that is available for a residential pool owner.

Reactions: spanman
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.