Hchang

Sep 1, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
BABE09E5-004A-4E8A-8182-113C2F82D1FF.jpegPool is 1 year old. CYA is now ~100 (Taylor kit) . And I would like to partial drain and refill. Am I correct that I should close my skimmers, leave the bottom drains open and run the pump and let the water come out of this hose bib?

View attachment 381852Pool is 1 year old. CYA is now ~100 (Taylor kit) . And I would like to partial drain and refill. Am I correct that I should close my skimmers, leave the bottom drains open and run the pump and let the water come out of this hose bib?

You can try that and if you do stay by the pump and watch that the main drain alone can feed the pump and it does not run dry. You risk damaging a $1,000 pump if the pump runs dry and damages the seals.

That is why we recommend not risking your expensive pump and using a submersible pump instead to drain the pool.

Or use the No Drain Water Exchange process described in....

Reactions: Hchang
H,

Yes, but I would keep an eye on things when the water gets below the skimmer's, just to make sure the pump does not run out of water..

A better way to do it is to use a sump pump, or even let gravity do the work by using a garden hose to siphon the water out.. Just like you used to do when siphoning gas out of your neighbor's car.. That might have been me, now that I think about it... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can try that and if you do stay by the pump and watch that the main drain alone can feed the pump and it does not run dry. You risk damaging a $1,000 pump if the pump runs dry and damages the seals.

That is why we recommend not risking your expensive pump and using a submersible pump instead to drain the pool.

Or use the No Drain Water Exchange process described in....

Ok thank you for that. I will use a submersible pump. But would I still need to turn the valves off to the skimmers and turn the pool pump off?

Ok thank you for that. I will use a submersible pump. But would I still need to turn the valves off to the skimmers and turn the pool pump off?

If you are draining with a submersible pump then just turn your pool pump off. You don;t need to fool with the skimmer valves.

H,

Yes, but I would keep an eye on things when the water gets below the skimmer's, just to make sure the pump does not run out of water..

A better way to do it is to use a sump pump, or even let gravity do the work by using a garden hose to siphon the water out.. Just like you used to do when siphoning gas out of your neighbor's car.. That might have been me, now that I think about it... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you. Asking you the same question as above. If I use asubmersible pump would I still need to turn the valves off to the skimmers and turn the pool pump off?

H,

You never want your pump to run out of water.. No matter how you drain...

If you use a sump pump, the best bet would be to turn the main pool pump off.. If you do that, you do not have to mess with any valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you. Asking you the same question as above. If I use asubmersible pump would I still need to turn the valves off to the skimmers and turn the pool pump off?

If you are draining with a submersible pump then just turn your pool pump off. You don;t need to fool with the skimmer valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.