Draining goof - now chemistry questions

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
Got the chemicals just right, leaves out, put hoses in to siphon. Made sure the pool ends of the hoses were at my target water level. I did not account for gravity straightening out the hoses as water level dropped. I returned 16 hours later to a foot or less of water in the pool, and siphon still running! Definitely not what I intended. Liner has not shifted or lifted, so that's good at least.

So now what? Obviously I need to partially refill the pool. My question is chemicals - do I just leave it as nearly pure tap water and plan on opening a swamp? I opened a literal swamp, with frogs and all, this past year so I know what it takes. Or do I try to somehow add chems and stir it around? Problem is (1) splashing concentrated chems on exposed liner due to the height drop, (2) trying to mix them in (I'm disabled, a little brushing/vacuuming is okay but major stirring is likely to result in major surgery), (3) no way to collect a water sample for testing. For all of those reasons, I'm leaning towards just covering the tap water pool and opening early and planning on a SLAM.

Water temp last checked several weeks ago and it was 55 I think. Air temp currently in the 20s, next weekend it will hit 60 briefly. Plumbing has been disconnected.

Could somebody check my numbers? Things aren't making sense to me.

Pool is 24 foot diameter, currently with 25-26 inches of water. I calculate about 7100 gallons.

FC this morning was 8 (16 drops). I added 2 cups of (old) 12.5%. Retested at 12.

pH yesterday was 7.2. This makes sense because my fill water is acidic. Added about a pound of Borax. pH today is well over 8. I added 5 oz dry acid, pH is still 8+.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.