drain split upgrade

Tommyo

Mar 19, 2017
Auburn, CA
Im scoping a skimmer repair project with a pool contractor - does this trigger a requirement to upgrade single drain design? my attitude is I am not scoping the pool finish or tile or the drain with the skimmer replacement project .

If the repair will need a permit, I suspect it will trigger the VGBA drain requirement.

At that point, abandon the main drain. They are not needed.

Reactions: Tommyo
You can always meet the VGBA requirements with a SVRS valve added to your pump if code requires. Some folks remove it after code inspection.

Tom,

I doubt any work would require you to have dual drains on old pools... You can just get the VGBA cover...

I would either just install the correct cover on the single drain you have, or abandon the main drain all together, as they are just not needed.

I have two rent houses that were re-plastered.. In both cases the plaster company initially said they were "required".. I asked to see the requirement and then they said it was "recommended" and they just replaced the flat cover with a raised cover. At that time I did not realize how useless a main drain really is, or I would have just told them to cap it off and plaster over it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.