Drain & refilled parents swamp

Staci

Sep 12, 2016
Clover, SC
Did a little search didn't see exactly what I was looking for.
This is the first time we are having to completely drain and refill a pool (still a pool rookie only owned for 1.5 seasons). My question is do I get CYA level up before anything else? I'm not sure how to get the chemicals started. This will be good reference for my pool when we put up a new one this Fall too since we had to take it down due to liner popping out of rusted wall. ? Thanks

Add CYA and maintain FC level immediately and balance PH between 7.2 - 7.8.

One more question... It was a green swamp! Should I deep clean the filter or will the bleach kill whatever is/was in there? Pool was put up about 2yrs ago so filter is on the newer side.

If I was doing a drain/refill 100% I would do a thorough filter deep clean.

Hi again! Drained,refilled and deep cleaned the filter. Water was beautiful for about a month and then started getting cloudy and is now starting to go a shade of light green. #'s are all good so I have no clue what the problem could be. Any guesses? Thank you all

Post your water tests and describe how the pool is maintained. Is it brushed once or twice a week?

Hi again! Drained,refilled and deep cleaned the filter. Water was beautiful for about a month and then started getting cloudy and is now starting to go a shade of light green. #'s are all good so I have no clue what the problem could be. Any guesses? Thank you all

Staci,

Can you share with us a full set of test results? If you have algae, at some point, your chlorine has been too low. So let's see those numbers ;)

Brushed once a week (but not for the last 3)
Test results:
FC 8 ( brought up to SLAM 20)
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 30
CH 25
CYA 50

Same filter and pump in my signature, but it is a 28' round and approx. 19,500 gal and there is a drain in the bottom that is supposed to help with circulation.
It is currently a shade of pastel green

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does sound like you have algae. Are you saying your FC is now 20? The point of SLAM

Shock
Level
And
Maintain

Is to keep your FC at shock level for your CYA Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart until you pass the three tests.

1. Clear water
2. CC of .5 or less
3. Overnight free chlorine loss of 1ppm or less

Yes, the FC was 8 and I added the bleach it recommend to get to SLAM level. (20)
My issue is I do not live at this house and my parents aren't here yet either, so to test every 1-2 hrs is not doable. Maybe 2x a day I can manage but every 1-2 hrs no.

Brushed once a week (but not for the last 3)

Some AGPs have poor circulation. Your not the first to report algae after a few weeks without brushing.

Not sure what the right combination is to prevent it when no one is around the pool. How often does the pump run when no one is there?

Some AGPs have poor circulation. Your not the first to report algae after a few weeks without brushing.

Not sure what the right combination is to prevent it when no one is around the pool. How often does the pump run when no one is there?

We run the pump 24/7, I live in the neighborhood, but I work and have kids that have after school stuff. The contractor (parents friend) stays there while working on the house he has been putting in bleach but it may not have been enough (he won't test, he has already stated he is a contractor not a pool guy)

We run the pump 24/7, I live in the neighborhood, but I work and have kids that have after school stuff. The contractor (parents friend) stays there while working on the house he has been putting in bleach but it may not have been enough (he won't test, he has already stated he is a contractor not a pool guy)

Is is within a contractor’s job description to brush the pool twice a week?

In this type of circumstance, your choice is to cover the pool and clean it up after the parents move in, or hire a service to clean and maintain the pool. For whatever reason the contractor is not keeping up with the pool and depending on how long it takes before the parents move in it could go green again if you do finish the slam.

Is is within a contractor’s job description to brush the pool twice a week?

No it's not in his job description, he was not asked to brush the pool just to put in bleach and he agreed to it, but I was saying that he won't test and brush the pool before anyone asked if I asked him to, but he is a friend and staying there for free and getting paid a good amount to do the work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.