Drain hardware for solar panels

azali

Jul 24, 2013
Got a new roof and getting ready to install the solar panels. I hear I need to drain them in the winter but I don't know what product I need to install into the PVC pipe.

Also, does anyone know anything about a new ordinance in San Ramon, CA that requires panels be connected to aluminum runners?

AND, my new roof is white composite shingles. Is it okay to lay the panels on top?

Any other help you can give me about the installation. The plumbing already goes up to the roof so I only need roof advice.

Thanks!

To drain them, I just added a PVC Tee with a 3/4" reducer that I screwed a brass spigot into at the lowest point of my panels. I open it in winter so all the water is drained.

Not sure what you mean by the aluminum runners. The panels do expand and contract as they heat and cool, so that could rub on your shingles. Perhaps that is what the runners are for?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.