Drain hardware for solar panels

azali

Jul 24, 2013
Got a new roof and getting ready to install the solar panels. I hear I need to drain them in the winter but I don't know what product I need to install into the PVC pipe.

Also, does anyone know anything about a new ordinance in San Ramon, CA that requires panels be connected to aluminum runners?

AND, my new roof is white composite shingles. Is it okay to lay the panels on top?

Any other help you can give me about the installation. The plumbing already goes up to the roof so I only need roof advice.

Thanks!

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
To drain them, I just added a PVC Tee with a 3/4" reducer that I screwed a brass spigot into at the lowest point of my panels. I open it in winter so all the water is drained.

Not sure what you mean by the aluminum runners. The panels do expand and contract as they heat and cool, so that could rub on your shingles. Perhaps that is what the runners are for?

azali

Jul 24, 2013
Thanks, another question. my PVC from the pump to the roof is 1 1/2". The panels are 2".
Should I reduce to 2's to 1 1/2 or use a coupler that is 1 1/2" then up to a 2"?

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
There is only one adapter between the two. You will need the reducer and a 2" coupler.

Recommended you use 2" as much as you can.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
Y Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 2
mavric Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 6
chemillion Under Construction 1

Other Threads of Interest