Drain cover/assembly broken in the spa (that spillsover into pool)

pmuvb

May 1, 2020
NC
The whole cover/assembly came out in the spa. How do I put it back? Do I drill into plaster and insert new bolts, looks like the old ones
were all rusted out. What drill bits do I use for it, and how deep do I drill, and everything else I should know to fix it.

There is also a bulge, about an inch high in the plaster, marked by a red circle. What do I do with it?

THX

Attachments

• IMG_20200509_184851.jpg
    IMG_20200509_184851.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200509_184904.jpg
    IMG_20200509_184904.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200509_184910.jpg
    IMG_20200509_184910.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200509_185007.jpg
    IMG_20200509_185007.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 14
I am surprised that drain worked with the pipe off-center and the adapter plate on the drain cover.
I would drill it for some plastic anchors, squeeze a bit of silicone caulk down the hole, then set the anchor. Don't go too deep. Use stainless steel screws!

>> I am surprised that drain worked with the pipe off-center and the adapter plate on the drain cover.
I do not know if it worked, I've never used spa drain. I've bought house with pool & spa recently.

1. So I should just leave along the ring (I do not know the name of it) that is on the floor, I do not need to replace it? It's attached pretty firmly.

2. Then, should I drill out the old anchors? If I drill new holes I am afraid the old anchors will keep releasing rust into water.

3. Can I sand off or chisel out the bulge / bump in the plaster? It's right in the middle of that ring on the floor, the bulge is marked by a red circle. I
do not think I can attach adapter flush to the floor with the bulge.

Thanks

Last edited:
The ring is set in the plaster.
I have never seen one so far off center. It was probably fine with the original cover, but the adapter (black plate on your cover) must mostly cover it, even installed off center itself.
As a professional with liability and compliance concerns I would be referring you to a plaster guy to replace the ring and put in a compliant sump. Not a bad idea, but a little pricey and good plasterers can be booked months out.
As some guy on a pool forum, I would say drill it out at the two oval holes in the ring, set plastic anchors (a HUGE no-no as a contractor) with a sealant to prevent seeping, cut out a section of the adapter plate to allow some flow if needed, and attach it with SS screws.
I have no idea what to do about the bump in the plaster, as I don't do plaster. Maybe you could trim the adapter plate and sand down the cover in that spot to get a flush fit.
The rust is not the ring "anchors", as they are just brass nuts set in the plastic ring, or maybe just holes in some plastic. It is the screws used to attach the adapter plate, which were probably not stainless steel. You can drill those out if you choose, or put a silicone band-aid on them to get you by for a few years. I doubt they will be much of an issue anyway.

Aha now I got it about the drain pipe being off-center of the ring so the adapter covers the pipe.

Thanks for the video too.

Question, is it another, second drain in the spa?

Yes. But frankly, the video posted appears to be a quite effective method. And much less invasive than my suggestion. He clearly has more plaster experience than I, and you might want to try his method first. As I mentioned, if I were there professionally I would be referring you to someone like him. If he had responded sooner I would not have even replied to the thread. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've just been able to get back to my spa as it's been raining around here non-stop. I unscrewed the second cover (duh) and ordered the same one from amazon - it's hayward and it fits very well over the ring. I followed the way they do it in the video however the hole in the plaster for one of the screws is too large and does not hold the screw well.

How do I fix this large hole? Use plastic anchor suggested above? Or maybe something like E-Z Patch Plaster Repair to fill up the hole? Some sort of epoxy?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.