Drain and Refill Question

lauren_balty

Nov 21, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Hello,

New to all of this. Bought a house with a pool and learning how to get the chemicals balanced. We discovered CYA is high and finally drained about 90% of the pool and currently filling it back up (as I type!). The recommended test kit was ordered and may take a week to arrive. My biggest question is what should I do until then? I have a basic water testing kit and can bring a sample to Leslie's to check the CYA. Also, we have a feeder with the 3" chorine tabs in it. I now know those contain CYA, but the pool builder says it should always be in use (pool is pretty new and still under warranty...and also states that a reputable pool company must test water each month), but I hear that those tests can be way off and unnecessary products will be pushed. Oh, and the previous owner's have the pump running during the day, but since chlorine should be added in the evening, wouldn't it make more since to run the pump throughout the night? I will post chemical levels as soon as the pool is completely filled, but any advice in the meantime is welcome!

Thank you!!

I assume you are on city water, and not a well?

If so, I would just worry about chlorine and PH until your kit arrives.

As for your pool builder, I would look and see what is in writing for the warranty. I'm sure they see some owners do some stupid stuff, so they say things like you must keep chlorine feeder going at all times, etc. As long as you are testing on a regular basis and making sure your chemistry is in range, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

So the algae comment is a new twist. As soon as you get your test kit, start the SLAM process which may take a few days. After that, maintain the proper FC levels per your CYA level.

Reactions: lauren_balty
You can add chlorine anytime during the day.

Take your water once a month to a "reputable pool company" get the test and file it and ignore it.

Do you have any test kit right now?

You want to raise your FC up to 5ppm once the water fills. That is 2 quarts of 10% liquid chlorine or 1 gallon of 6% liquid chlorine. Then add half of that every other day until you get your test kit and can do proper testing.

When you get your test kit post your test results and we can see what the next steps are.

Do you have PoolMath?

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry?

You can test your pH and TA with the K-1004 and test the chlorine and keep it on the high side of the comparator at 5ppm or higher until you get your TF-100 test kit.

Read this about Liquid Chlorine...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.