Evansville,IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
i have elected to go with this product for my filter. I am hoping someone can shed some light on the addition of the Enhance Summer that is used in conjunction with the Activate. In my research it states that this liquid should be added monthly and replaces the use of CYA. Being the consumate skeptic, I contacted Maytronics whom I understood is the distribution point of the product. The person I spoke with initially for customer service had no knowledge of the product and stated she would have her manager contact me. Since then, I’ve called twice back and basically get the same response from each representative and never receive the call back.
Anyone having used this product or has knowledge of it I am asking for some help with my question.

thanks in advance

sorry for the spelling error in the title. Should be Enhance Summer

Re: Dr. Drydens Activate / Enhance Summer

I looked at their website at Dr. Dryden Enhance Advanced Filter Media - Maytronics No details on what is in Enhancer or what it does. I don’t see where it says it replaces CYA.

I would not dump unkown chemicals in my pool.

i was curious because i have the activated media but have never used the enhance summer. i could not find the ingredients except for one article that showed 90 to 100 percent were materials below reportable levels. not very helpful. i did find several descriptions that stated it replaced the need for cya. found one store online at $60/gal with monthly dose 1 gal for 30k gal pool. not cheap. as ajw said, i would not want to add it to my pool unless i knew what was in it.

J,

I have a gallon of Dr. Rahbe's super enhanced Winter that I will sell you for only $100 bucks. Plus shipping of course... It is really mostly water, but since "magic" is magic, it does not really matter what it does, it only matters what you think it does... :p

So, what is your goal here? Why do you even want to replace CYA?

If you are having problems with keeping your pool crystal clear, or you have algae, adding magic to your filter will not help.. Filters do not keep pools clear, chemicals are the only thing that keeps your pool clear and sanitized.

Thanks,

Jim R.

i have elected to go with this product for my filter. I am hoping someone can shed some light on the addition of the Enhance Summer that is used in conjunction with the Activate. In my research it states that this liquid should be added monthly and replaces the use of CYA. Being the consumate skeptic, I contacted Maytronics whom I understood is the distribution point of the product. The person I spoke with initially for customer service had no knowledge of the product and stated she would have her manager contact me. Since then, I’ve called twice back and basically get the same response from each representative and never receive the call back.
Anyone having used this product or has knowledge of it I am asking for some help with my question.

thanks in advance

sorry for the spelling error in the title. Should be Enhance Summer

I’m curious why you have chosen this product?

I’m also curious why you peruse it after the company who makes it doesn’t even know they make it, or even return your calls? Thank goodness you are just inquiring, and not dealing with ingestion or another emergency situation.

The reason for choosing the media is that it reduces the pass through particles from 100 down to around 10. Hence cleaner water, maytronics is the supplier as well, not the creator of the product. I’m going to continue with my CYA at normal levels for my SWG, until I get some confirmed documentation that it does replace it as well a means of measuring the product

The reason for choosing the media is that it reduces the pass through particles from 100 down to around 10. Hence cleaner water, maytronics is the supplier as well, not the creator of the product. I’m going to continue with my CYA at normal levels for my SWG, until I get some confirmed documentation that it does replace it as well a means of measuring the product

It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference if you switch media. I would guess at night with the pool light on should show a difference. Do they say it’s necessary to use their chemicals to maintain that 10 micron filtering capability?

BTW- A properly maintained sand filter, using #20 silica sand, can filter down to 30 micron (add a bit of DE and you can probably be well under 20 micron), so the media is really only providing a 20 micron reduction. I see very little debris in my pool at night with a light in the water, but I agree, it’s there.

What is the difference in cost vs silica pool filter sand?

The website looked like the typical sensationalized statements I was expecting. Look how amazing this stuff is! And it works, I promise!

My rule is, if you won't tell me what it is, it doesn't go in my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of your responses, even the snarky ones. Let me just say this, people come here for advice and input on how to care for their pool. Replying with a comment that’s not helpful, deters others who may have a question to not want to post due to these types of responses. I for one have pretty thick skin and they do not bother me in the least. But, if you choose to run a forum in which people are on a quest to find information, and you offer nothing but sarcasm with your answers. Then you truly work against the purpose of this site.

take this for what it is, my .02 cents

Sodium silicate will act as a binder for small participates in the water much the same way in which a standard polymeric clarifier works. Since it’s nothing more than a clarifier, why not opt for a cheaper polymeric clarifier or use DE in your sand filter?? Either one would be cheaper and not cause the irritation that sodium silicate would if exposed to it at high doses.

As for replacing CYA, that’s not possible. The Dryden Aqua products come from Scotland. They are designed for use in pools with a very different configuration than US pools. Because the EU restricts the use of CYA in pool water, Dryden has developed a line of products and equipment that works with a zero CYA and low FC (FC < 0.8ppm) protocol. It involves the use of advanced filtration techniques (zeolite sand and granular activated carbon), flocculation & coagulants, discharge of agglomerated particles and post filtration injection of small amounts of chlorine. Their UV blocking compound is titanium dioxide nanoparticles suspended in water as TiO2 absorbs UV strongly.

The Dryden system works when ALL of the components are in place just as an automobile only runs properly when all of its parts are in place. Picking and choosing random parts of the system will not work or will have sub-optimal performance.

I say save your money and stick with what works here rather than buying into a fanciful line of products not designed to work with standard US based residential pools.

Any comparison as to how "EU Protocols" for their pools stack up against how the normal outdoor pool owner here compare in every day use? I know that's a BIG question! Cost, simplicity, effectiveness? I'd be pretty happy just to know why they restrict the use of CYA.

Thanks for all of your responses, even the snarky ones. Let me just say this, people come here for advice and input on how to care for their pool. Replying with a comment that’s not helpful, deters others who may have a question to not want to post due to these types of responses. I for one have pretty thick skin and they do not bother me in the least. But, if you choose to run a forum in which people are on a quest to find information, and you offer nothing but sarcasm with your answers. Then you truly work against the purpose of this site.

take this for what it is, my .02 cents

J,

Your point is well taken... Let me be the first to apologize for letting this thread get out of hand. The problem is that the topic is like waving a red flag in front of a bunch of bulls.. :p

Some of us have been more sarcastic then we should have been, but you have also gotten some pretty good answers, especially from JoyfulNoise.

I don't think there is much doubt on where we stand on the product.

I'm glad you are being a good sport about it.

Thanks for the course correction....

Jim R.

Sodium silicate will act as a binder for small participates in the water much the same way in which a standard polymeric clarifier works. Since it’s nothing more than a clarifier, why not opt for a cheaper polymeric clarifier or use DE in your sand filter?? Either one would be cheaper and not cause the irritation that sodium silicate would if exposed to it at high doses.

As for replacing CYA, that’s not possible. The Dryden Aqua products come from Scotland. They are designed for use in pools with a very different configuration than US pools. Because the EU restricts the use of CYA in pool water, Dryden has developed a line of products and equipment that works with a zero CYA and low FC (FC < 0.8ppm) protocol. It involves the use of advanced filtration techniques (zeolite sand and granular activated carbon), flocculation & coagulants, discharge of agglomerated particles and post filtration injection of small amounts of chlorine. Their UV blocking compound is titanium dioxide nanoparticles suspended in water as TiO2 absorbs UV strongly.

The Dryden system works when ALL of the components are in place just as an automobile only runs properly when all of its parts are in place. Picking and choosing random parts of the system will not work or will have sub-optimal performance.

I say save your money and stick with what works here rather than buying into a fanciful line of products not designed to work with standard US based residential pools.

That is some great advice, I thank you for that. I am just wanting to do what’s best for the pool as well, what’s not a waste of resources, both time, and money.
‘Thanks once again

- - - Updated - - -

J,

Your point is well taken... Let me be the first to apologize for letting this thread get out of hand. The problem is that the topic is like waving a red flag in front of a bunch of bulls.. :p

Some of us have been more sarcastic then we should have been, but you have also gotten some pretty good answers, especially from JoyfulNoise.

I don't think there is much doubt on where we stand on the product.

I'm glad you are being a good sport about it.

Thanks for the course correction....

Jim R.

Hey Jim,

no need for an apology here, and your right, most of the answers or suggestions are on point, and are well received. I know how frustrating it can be for someone to freely offer advice and feel it falls upon deaf ears. In my situation it has not. I will use the recommendations established here and enjoy the benefits of the knowledge you all
impart. My thanks to you

.... Their UV blocking compound is titanium dioxide nanoparticles suspended in water as TiO2 absorbs UV strongly. ..
Matt, thanks for the info. curious as to where you found that. the only sds info i could find, including the ACO posted by Richard, dont mention it. Is TiO2 suspension a common EU cya replacement?

So, just to be clear, I am not an expert on Dryden Aqua nor do I use or support the use of their products, so here’s what I will say.

First, I should have said that “I speculate” that their UV blocking product, ACO, is nanoparticles of titanium dioxide. Based on the what little information is in their MSDS and cross-referencing that info with what you find on the Sigma-Aldrich website for aqueous dispersions of TiO2 nanoparticles, they look fairly similar. Also, being schooled in this particular area, it is well known in the scientific literature that both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles are used for their catalytic properties and their strong absorption in the UV spectrum. The various wavelengths of UV absorption can be tuned by simply adjusting the size of the nanoparticles.

If you want to look at the full Dryden Aqua “DAISY” filtration system, you can see the setup here - DAISY

The DAISY systems relies on a series of chemical injection steps using their so-called “zeta potential mixer” or ZPM cell (which is actually the wrong use of the concept of zeta potentials....but usurpation of incorrect technical terminology has never stopped any marketing department in the past, so....). The system injects standard sulphate and phosphate flocculating agents into the water stream prior to filtration through their “advanced” zeolite glass media filter. I’ve never been terribly impressed with zeolite as a filtration media and their claims that the saurface of their filter media is somehow “catalytic” and helps reduce all manners of biofouling is speculation, at best, without concrete test data from an independent agency. After filtration, they then send the water stream through another mixing chamber where they inject both their enhance product as well as acidified sodium chlorite (ASC) as their sterilizing agent. The ASC process doesn’t create as many harmful DBP’s as chlorine does.

So, as you can see, their system is quite complex and really requires all the “moving parts” to be present to even hope to achieve the disinfection and filtration claims they make.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.