Dr. Drydens Activate / Enhance Summer

JMadden, I have a lot of answers and information for you. Some comments above are partially true.

Activate is a permanent filter media that replaces sand. On the Dryden Aqua website it is talking about AFM which is for commercial pools. Activate is made the same way but doesn't strictly use green and brown glass and is for residential pools. (Less people, less bio film and other molecules to clean)
The Activate is made from recycled glass that goes through a decontamination, sterilization,shaping and activation. This prevents bio film from sticking to it like it does to sand. Now when you backwash, all that harmful bio film washes away.
Activate will filter down to 4 microns for it's entire time where sand can loses the ability to filter because the bio film gathers the sand together making channels and decreasing the ability to filter your water. You will notice the water is clearer the day after you make the switch.
Now you have created a healthier pool, all the debris floating in the water which you see at night with the pool lights on is gone, and you use less chemicals reducing or eliminating the chlorine smell.

Summer Enhance is a replacement for CYA and acts as a UV protector for your chlorine. Think of it this way, CYA surrounds a molecule of chlorine where Enhance partially covers it. Now that chlorine molecule has an easier time killing bacteria in the pool. When its covered in CYA you have to put more chlorine in the water to get the same effect. The Enhance changes the wave length of the UV light so that less chlorine is lost to the sun. To test you can measure your free chlorine levels and you'll see them drop.
You do not have to use Enhance with the Activate. It has nothing to do with the Activate.

You also don't need to modify your current sand filter or pool system to achieve these results. The Daisy system is used in other countries but not necessary. You can pour your Enhance in the water without the expense of having a dedicated system doing it for you.

You cannot use DE in a sand filter.

Reactions: U2brothr
You cannot use DE in a sand filter.

I will touch on the above part. YES you can use DE in a sand filter. Now you would not replace the sand with DE. Instead what you do is "enhance" the sand's cleaning abilities with the DE. Adding a measured amount of DE to sand (each pool/filter set up is different so you would have to find how much your filter likes) gives a polish to the water. I have done it in the past and will continue to do it as I need/want.

Kim:kim:

I’ve used Dr. Dryden’s summer Enhance ever since I started using his Activate glass beads in my filter last year. I just started using a Sutro in my pool and I can now confirm that the Enhance does NOT replace cyanuric acid as the product states. In fact, I can’t tell what it does but I know I was shocking my pool after sunset and got a free chlorine reading in the middle of the night of 4-5 and by sunset the same day it was zero. So the sun totally destroyed my chlorine. I just added cyanuric acid back into my pool last night and the latest Sutro reading shows free chlorine of 5. I turned off my salt cell and I’m willing to bet that I’ll still have plenty of chlorine this evening. Enhance should stop claiming that they replace cyanuric acid. I’ve wasted a lot of time and money because I believed this.
Update: I was correct, chlorine levels still high this evening so the cyanuric acid did its job unlike the Enhance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ellislo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.