Dolphin Z5 not climbing walls (not new)

BC in the Bay

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2013
Florida
Hi all,

I have a Dolphin Z5 that's probably 2-3 years old. It recently seems to have lost some vacuuming power and is having trouble climbing the walls. Just to clarify - it has been able to climb the walls in the past, and I am not running in fast mode. I left the cleaner in the pool for an extended period this winter out of a mix of business and lazyness, and it seems to have happened since then. I don't know if that damaged something. I tried replacing the suction discs on the bottom of the unit and that helped a little bit with the vacuming, but it doesn't seem to be enough to get it up the wall. I also checked the impeller (propeller?) and it's clean.

My next thought was to look at replacing the motor, but I figured I'd hit the forum up first to see if anyone else had run into this.

Thanks in advance,

BC

From the manual:

The Pool Cleaner doesn’t climb the walls:
1. Clean the filters of the cartridges
2. Check the level of the chemicals of the water. Improper levels may allow the growth of algae making the walls slippery. If so, adjust the levels and scrub the walls
3. Check that the brushes aren’t worn out
4. For Top 9 only: Check that the wall climbing mode hasn’t been cancelled via the remote control unit

BC,

You might also check the tracks... As they wear out wall climbing gets harder to do..

Leaving it in the water has nothing to do with your current problem.

I assume it tries to climb, but gets about halfway and stops.

I can't see the problem being a motor issue.. they either work or they don't..

Thanks,

Jim R.

BC,

You might also check the tracks... As they wear out wall climbing gets harder to do..

Leaving it in the water has nothing to do with your current problem.

I assume it tries to climb, but gets about halfway and stops.

I can't see the problem being a motor issue.. they either work or they don't..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Appreciate the response. By "the tracks" do you mean the foam rings? I just replaced those at the end of last season, so I'm pretty sure they haven't worn out yet. I got at least a couple of years out of the original set.

Yes, it does try to clim - It seems to get partially up the wall and then slides, or falls off (looses contact with the wall). My thought on the motor was that maybe it had worn out and lost power and I wasn't getting the same force applied by the impeller.

Back to Geebot's message - I haven't replaced the rubber brushes on the wheels at all. I didn't think they had anything to do with the climbing or grip on the wall. Maybe that's worth trying.

Appreciate the response. By "the tracks" do you mean the foam rings? I just replaced those at the end of last season, so I'm pretty sure they haven't worn out yet. I got at least a couple of years out of the original set.

BC,

The rings make zero difference on my cleaner.. I was talking about the drive tracks that make the unit move.. Like this .. Dolphin Pool Cleaner Long Timing Track (2PK) 9985006-R2

I just picked a picture, I am not sure that is the specific ones that you need..

Jim R.

BC,

The rings make zero difference on my cleaner.. I was talking about the drive tracks that make the unit move.. Like this .. Dolphin Pool Cleaner Long Timing Track (2PK) 9985006-R2

I just picked a picture, I am not sure that is the specific ones that you need..

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim - ror some reason, I'm not seeing a picture in your post. I assume you're talking about the "toothed" drive belts (sort of like a gear belt) that attach the two wheel/shafts at the front and back of the unit?

My Oasis Z5 had stopped last summer cleaning the walls. It eventually stopped all together. I found small ball bearings in the pool when I vacuumed the pool the old fashioned way. I have purchased the following:
Maytronics Dolphin 9985006 Tracks
Maytronics Dolphin 3884997 Guide Wheels (FOUR) and 3883645 Pulleys (TWO)
Maytronics Dolphin 6101611-R4 - Pack of FOUR Foam Climbing Rings
Maytronics Dolphin 6101656 Brushes
Maytronics Dolphin 99955956-ASSY Wheel Tube Assembly

This will be the first time these parts will be replaced. I purchased the Z5 about 4 years ago. Once the parts come in I will do the work to replace them. The Z5 is currently apart. All bearings need replacing on the guide wheels and pulleys. Three of the four bearings on the track wheel tube assemblies do not roll smoothly. Hence, I hope replacing these parts will do the trick.

Margaret Mills at Marina Pool, Spa & Patio helped me out greatly. They have good pricing and may honor competitive price matching. I hope this information helps you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.