Dolphin Premier

Wouldn't ever do that, no worries. We were late seeing Sopranos too. Easily one of the best TV series of ALL time. Agree completely on James G. Furio, Tony, and Sal were my Favs for sure. Pauly Walnuts too. Everyone in it was fabulous.

Back on topic, Im digging into this and finding some interesting info on the private labelling of the M5, and Epic Supply. Will post back later with more details. I am very excited about these machines. Thanks for pushing me this direction Dave.

Just picked up my M5 today. Got lucky, found a great price on line, discovered that the supplier is headquartered in my town (Mesa AZ) so they allowed me to pick it up instead of being delivered.

I asked them about Maytronics' issue on warranty versus internet sales, they told me that the way they do the paper trail the warranty is just fine, it's just a matter of returning it directly to them for warranty service rather than Maytronics. Good enough for me!

In my case, I'm lucky enough to have a local shop to take it to.

If anybody is interested I got it from webpoolsupply.com

I also received my TF-100 test kit today! :goodjob:

Based on all of the good info and instructions on this site I can have a higher degree of confidence in my tests (have been conducting them with the Stanley test kit provided by my PB).

M5 is still in the box.....I better go fire her up. I'll post an opinion later after her "maiden voyage"!

Welcome to the forum danjaymor!
Glad you were able to aquire one locally and that is "kinda" what I will be doing. I know some of this has been fleshed out, but thought a re-hash might be helpful to those catching up. Please bare with me...

I talked with Maytronics on the phone a good long time yesterday and found out a few things. This was after I spoke with Epic Pool Supply as they came up on a search for the M5. When I spoke with them, I knew nothing except that I was interested in the M5, and where to find one. Epic is out of them and will not have any more M5 models as they are getting their own private label machine. Whether it is a full fledged M5 is in question, but the rep I spoke too seemed to think it would be. However, after talking with Maytronics, I'm not so sure, as the other "Exclusive" product lines from Leslie's, and Pool Express etc... do not include it. The bottom line is that they keep this line away from internet sales so that Mom and Pop stores don't get undersold online. Hence the no warranty policy for getting the M3, 4, and 5 if you find one there. If you get a warranty, it will be through the seller only, not from Maytronics. The rep told me it was their "IPP" (internet protection policy). I kind of like that to be honest, and I am getting mine from one in Abeline TX.

So, Leslie's has the "Deluxe" models, and although they have many of the same features, they are not the same at all. Mainly because none of them have top access cart filters. In fact, the only models that do are the M4, M5, and Liberty models. To me, this looks like a very desirable feature. Of course the price of the Deluxe 5 is the same as M5. Leslies local and the Leslie's commercial in Arlington knew nothing about the M5 and little about the others. In fairness to them both, they aren't allowed to carry the other models. However, local Leslie's knew nothing at all about any of them as usual, but called me back after speaking with "corporate" and tried to sell me the Deluxe 5. :blah: Of course, they said it was identical. :blah: Not so, but until I dug in I thought it might be a viable option. Perhaps interestingly, Leslie's local does sell the commercial versions of these, some ranging way up to $6500.00
:shock: :shock: :shock:

After a cram research on all these, I decided for sure on the M5, and will explain. The M5 has everything you can get on one of these residential models and comes with everything. It is also a "Dynamic" unit versus a "Diagnostic" unit. Dynamic units have a split drive motor, where the brushes are split in two, front and back. This allows the machine to turn 90 degrees like a tank instead of making an arc to turn. How important this is, I don't know, but according to the Maytronics rep, it is very useful in a free form pool. In addition, the top load filter seems nice and I was told it comes with the different media carts. Fine, and coarse "screen" type included. I don't know how much I will use it, but the remote option seems like a desirable feature too. All in all, I might as well get it as my builder quoted me $1495.00 on the complete package for installing a Polaris 380 system. So... the money is already spent. That said, I would likely spend and extra 300-500 because I love top of the line, and looking at this in the big picture, it wouldn't be much extra for a pool build. The only down side is that the closest dealer is about two hours away, but I travel out there fairly often. If I need warranty work, stopping off on a trip in one or two directions I travel won't be a big deal. I really am glad duraleigh brought this up because the more I think about it the more I like the idea of an independent cleaner. I hadn't researched this well at all, and in retrospect the idea of a pressure side cleaner just seems silly in comparison. I also love the fact that these unit will "scrub" the pool where a pressure cleaner will not. Also, being able to jerk it out of the pool and put it away pretty easily is also very appealing. With all that, I've firmly made up my mind on this and silly as it is, I'm itching for a pool now just to see this thing in action. With the amount of junk I will get in my pool it will be pushed to it's absolute limit, so we'll find out how good these things are. Hope some of this was helpful, but I'll report back after I've used this a while.

You won't be disappointed with the M5. I just finished my first season with mine. I've been using Aquabots for almost 30 years and decided it was time to upgrade my most recent Aquabot Turbo. I first tried the M4 (loaner) which was an improvement over the Aquabot Turbo in cleaning ability, speed and convenience. During my years with the Aquabots (bag filter) I was always thinking if I could re-design this I would use a cartridge filter instead of a bag. Along comes Maytronics with a cartridge filter. The M4 was good but was a bit of a slow lazy turner with floats that slide out of the handle to create drag in the water to facilitate turning to one side or the other. The M4 loaner also didn't have the remote option so it lacked different cleaning modes like floor and walls, floor only, etc. The M5 comes standard with the remote for the same price as the M4 with the remote added. But the real reason for getting the M5 is the extra motor and split brush design. The M5 can turn on a dime. I'm not much for using the remote to maneuver the robot but it does give you some nice options like the different cleaning modes.

Very interesting,

Epic mentioned the AB Turbo T4 yesterday, but I wasn't swayed. Really great to hear your perspective, especially with all your experience. I cant wait to get this thing in the water. I don't know how long it will take for the new to wear off, but I guarantee I will have a few beers, and some quality remote time. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the welcome, Patrick!

I appreciate the synopsis as well, everybody's info helped me decipher the Maytronics confusing info and decide on a model. I figured for the money that I'm already spending I may as well go the distance and get the remote option too.

After last night's initial run the M5 worked as advertised. It became apparent that I need to play with the float adjustments to improve waterline scrubbing, but I will do that on the next run.

Here in AZ we have a bigger battle with dust and "fines" in the pool, not so much with tree debris (I do get some of that, but it usually remains on the surface and gets picked up by the pool skimmer (or me!).

The M5 seemed to spend a bit of time "learning" my pool, I'm not sure if that kind of logic is actually built into the circuitry or not, but it seemed that way as early in the cycle it was spending what seemed like additional time in the corners and narrow areas of the pool, but later on seemed to be performing more of an overall sweep. At any rate it definitely covered the entire pool eventually.

There was on small leaf sitting the bottom of the pool, about mid-cycle I was getting mildly annoyed because the M5 kept "just" missing it. That's when I decided to play with the manual remote control. It worked well, and I was even amused to discover that I could walk it up the side of the pool and then just stop it there!

I'm very pleased so far, but I also noticed that I need to operate it when my 2 labs aren't outside with me. They wanted to dive in and "kill that ugly possum"! :)

Oh, just wanted to add that the cartridges are very simple! I've never had any experience with cleaning out a filter bag, but these were a cinch to rinse out and they look like they did a pretty great job of sucking up the fine dirt out of the pool!

My Dolphin Premier has the same filter system. I purchased the Optional "oversize Leaf Bag" and find it very worthwhile. In fact, I pretty much run it exclusively but it's big help is in getting the leaves.

Unlike any other cleaner I have had, It will get maybe 100 or more big oak leaves before it needs emptying.

I have never owned the Polaris 280 (pressure side) or the 380 but it looks like they may be able to get a bunch of leaves, too.

Someone with a lot of leaves may want to consider the Premier over the M4/M5 which do not have the optional "oversize leaf bag". I get a light to moderate amount of leaves (nothing near 100 oak leaves) and the M5 does ok.

Premier over the M4/M5 which do not have the optional "oversize leaf bag".
Now that's interesting. The "oversize leaf bag" comes with a plastic bottom cover (base), closing clips and wire frame identical to the base my filters fit onto.

If they do not offer the leaf bag for the m4/5, I wonder if the filter screens are the same? I saw them posted in another thread and they looked identical to what I have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I see now the top load in the link you posted. Makes sense. The premier has that virtually identical filter assembly that installs into the plastic bottom plate and then the bottom plate (and filter assembly) are locked in by a couple of tabs into the frame of the machine.

For my large and very debris-prone pool, The debris bag really gives me some extra versatility. I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll try to get a pic posted of just what it can pick up.

Looks like the Premier and M4/M5 share the same style filter but that's about it. The filters themselves are different along with the filter holders and mounting plate. And of course M4/M5 is top loading and Premier is bottom loading.

I think the Premier with the oversize leaf bag may be the best choice for lots of leaves. I have never had this situation but I think my filter would fill up fast with lots of big leaves. However, you will have to give up some things. Bottom loading vs top loading filters. The M5 has an extra motor with split brush design that lets it turn on a dime. M4/M5 also has a third roller brush in the center. Premier does not. My Aquabots without this third brush would always get stuck on the bottom drain. I had to use a Polaris uni-cover on the drain to prevent this. Maybe someone with a bottom drain and a Premier can comment on how it does with this. The M5 comes standard with cart and remote. They can be added to the Premier which makes the price about the same.

mpnret said:
I think the Premier with the oversize leaf bag may be the best choice for lots of leaves. I have never had this situation but I think my filter would fill up fast with lots of big leaves. However, you will have to give up some things. Bottom loading vs top loading filters. The M5 has an extra motor with split brush design that lets it turn on a dime. M4/M5 also has a third roller brush in the center. Premier does not. My Aquabots without this third brush would always get stuck on the bottom drain. I had to use a Polaris uni-cover on the drain to prevent this. Maybe someone with a bottom drain and a Premier can comment on how it does with this. The M5 comes standard with cart and remote. They can be added to the Premier which makes the price about the same.
I'm looking hard at the DX6 now, as it looks to be nearly identical to the private/exclusive premier. It seems to have the best of all options. It has Dynamic function (split drive/two brushes front and back) and it has the bag/cartridge options too. Remote and caddy come with it, but the only thing to give up here is the top loading. I'm not so sure that's such a big deal, just looking at the videos. Seems to me a good trade versus having the thing stop after it got choked on a few leaves. I hear it does ok with some dirt, but having the cart option can help me with that. Still undecided, but have some time to make up my mind and mull it over some more.

So I might be in the market for one of these shortly. My Blue Diamond Remote cleaner appears to be on its last legs. Powersupply is busted and no longer waterproof and its spinning in circles. Might be the brushes but I'm uncertain if I want to spend 60 bucks to find out. FYI, it broke constantly until I just left it in the water fulltime and it hasn't broken since.

Anyway, I had an old dolphin 10 years ago and got rid of it because it needed to climb the walls to change direction. These new ones seem to be able to change on the ground, pulsing the motor I assume like other bots I've had. I really like the cartridge option and especially the swivel is intriguing as the blue diamond has a swivel on the cord, but thats only for pulling the cord to full length and then it helps to untangle it.

I like either the M4 or M5 ideally over the premier. Maybe could live with a dx4 or dx6 with the bags although I think someone said the dx6 could be upgraded to cartridge. Another thing I like is you can buy the parts online if something breaks and the parts are somewhat reasonable. NOt 700 bucks a motor like they used to be. I was going to get a smartpool model because the parts are cheap but they seem to break.

So the issue I have is there are no dealers near me that sell the m4/m5 and apparently you get no warranty if you buy online. Am I stuck with the premier which seems to have a warranty if purchased online? Any advice appreciated. I'd prefer I think the m5 or DX6 even because at least in my pool, the way these things turn doesn't work well without two motors. I have a deepend in the middle and a shallow end on both sides. I also noticed that the motor even for the split ones is 400 bucks online. Thats not bad at all. Can they be replaced at the home or do you need the waterproof heatshrink?

I don't know about the repair issues, but if you call Dolphin they will find a dealer somewhere near you that can get you one. They did for me when I was looking at the M5. Pool Builders get them from distributors, and some of those will sell to you. You will be harder pressed to find a "regular" pool store that sells them. Leslies has their own line and does not. If you look, you can find one.

Rob, I bought my M5 on-line but was fortunate enough to have a local pick up point supplier. Not sure where you are located but if you are in AZ I can send you the contact info.

They assured me the warranty is in effect the way they do their paper push.

I've had mine since about August. It does a fantastic job and the cartridges are a breeze to clean!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.