Dolphin Premier vs Maytronic M500 - whats the diff?

Mar 24, 2017
Uniontown
Hey Guys,

Can someone explain the difference between the Dolphin Premier robot vs the Maytronics M500? I see they both are made by Maytronics but the Premier does not seem to appear on the Maytronics website - although the M500 is on there with the Dolphin logo. You can't seem to get the M500 on Amazon or eBay... where are you guys finding them?

We have new 18x44 vinyl inground (our first pool) and just trying to make heads and tails of these robots - anyone recommend one of these or another for my application?

One of my friends has Aquabot Turbo and recommended - but based on Amazon reviews and forum posts we are leaning toward the Dolphin robot. Picking a robot seems like trying to pick a mattress :crazy:

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster. There is an entire forum for pool cleaners, including robots: Pool Cleaners

From my reading, Maytronics creates many different variations of their robots for different sales channels (online, dealers, let other people put their name on them, etc). The M series can only be purchased from a brick and mortar dealer. You can find one in your area from their site here: Residential Pool Cleaners | Dolphin pool cleaning robot

I don't own either of these units but have been doing research (breaking ground on a new gunite pool tomorrow). The M400/500 have a 3rd brush in the middle that spins at a different speed than the wheels for more scrubbing action. There is also evidence that because of this they dont get hung up on raised bottom drains as easily. Also, the M400/500 have the door to the filter housing on the top whereas the Premier is on the bottom (so you have to flip the unit over). Finally, I believe the caddy is optional on the premier and included with the M400/M500. There may be other differences as far as remote control, bluetooth, wi-fi, etc but I haven't dug into them.

I agree with Firefox2017 that picking a robotic cleaner is exactly like buying a mattress- similar/same units have different names and outlets for purchase, some small tweaks that make one crazy. This isn't just Maytronic brand. I have two pages of notes. I too hope to see some good advice- my interests are warranty, and whether one needs to bite the bullet and pay full price from a local dealer or if there is a trusted online outlet. I talked with a local dealer who says Maytronics is the preferred company (he sells both Maytronics and Polaris).

How I’m understanding it is there are more programs and cleaning mode delays on the 500. The 400 has caddy. 500 has caddy and remote.

the premiere the caddy and remote r extra. Once u add them u have a 500 without the delay modes and extra programs for cleaning. That’s what I’m seeing now. I’m thinking right now the way to go for the price is the 500. I just started a thread too re kinda the same thing. I don’t then no the premiere is worth the price vs buying the 500 or 400 local.

I might be wrong. But that’s where I’m at for now.

I want a remote. There is no way I’m not going to be home and have my wife stArt pulling the bot across my plaster and jack the bot up or the floor or wire. With the remote she can drive it over to her, beach it and grab it out. And I don’t want her using her phone for that cause I’ll get a call while fishing thT it won’t connect or she dropped her phone in the pool. I love my wife but I’m just thinking real life here. Lol

jim

Jim- I think you are spot on. When you click on one link, it shows a remote for the 400. In the specific page, it shows Bluetooth capability. It appears the 400 isn’t lacking cleaning ability, so I’ll deal with the phone remote. Fortunately Apple decided to finally make a water resistant phone.

just to add to this. i spoke with a local rep the other day. no more physical remotes for 2018. app only.

the 500 vs 400 is like what has been said here. 500 you can do everything rom remote. with the 400 only movement of the bot.

the premiere does not have that new swivel remember.

jim

I am also looking at the Maytronics robots, with some of the same questions and coming up with similar answers. Yes, it does appear that Maytronics robots are similar to mattresses in that the manufacturer puts different labels, colors etc. on the product to prevent comparison shopping for prices, etc. The Dolphin M seems only to be sold in brick and mortar. I did find a couple of on line stores selling the M for a good price, but ONLY if you drive to them to pick it up, which may not be convenient based on locations (it wasn't for me). Fortunately, I have a Dolphin dealer ten minutes from my house with both the M400 and M500 in stock. I have decided to go with the local dealer primarily for service, if and when needed. I was looking at the Premier on Amazon, but if I added the optional caddy and remote it was quite close to the M400 price. My local dealer has a demo unit to try before purchase and loaners for their customers if you need servicing. Lastly, there service is fairly quick with stocked parts, etc. and I have read that if you need to send a unit back to Maytronics is could take a long time to repair plus the shipping charges. Therefore, I think it is worth a few hundred bucks to go with the local dealer. I am still undecided on the M400 vs. M500. The price difference is $300 and I am uncertain that the M500 additional features are worth the extra money to me. It appears that the difference is a quick/1.5 hr and enhanced/3.5 hr cleaning mode (vs. standard/2.5 hr), more bluetooth programmable features via smartphone, cycle time selector and delayed start. Just not sure that I would use these features or if they are worth $300.

Buy from dealer which is close to you since, as per my understanding for sometimes Maytronics creating issue with warranty but retails helping to resolve it.
I had simple issue with one of brush less than 30 days after the purchase, maytronics denied to replace even though sold less than 30 days ago but retail resolved it with in warranty. At this moment i understood nothing bumper to bumper :)

I am so trying to wrap my head around how to pick a robotic cleaner. It is like choosing a mattress but my mattress isn't going to break in two years if I make a wrong choice.

I went to the Sunplay.com website and read about the model parallels. I had been leaning towards a Dolphin (Maytronic) but when I saw the sheer number of models (65 in Sunplay's article) I just felt they've created too large a morass and I don't have the energy to pick through all the options. It's as if Toyota gave us 65 versions of an SUV. Why???
In my experience the more bells and whistles you add the more likely something will go wrong. I can't even imagine trying to hone on in the parts you would need for the particular Dolphin. Add to this the confusion about warrantys and you can see why I have been continuing to hand vacuum a few times per week.
My inclination is to go with a Polaris just because there are less of them. I opened the PDF on the manual for the 9350/9450/9550 and they note that they are the same as other #'s. The manual shows the differences and how features are added. Made it easy to see the progression of features. (I like the programmable ability but don't need a remote).
And another thing- how come I don't ever see "new for 2018..."??
The next tough decision is where to buy. Online, or in store. And the two stores near me only carry limited options. Leslie's has the P825 with rebate for $999. But it has less features than the 9450 which is $979 at PoolSupplyWorld. The P825 is more similar to the 9350/P935 which is $829 online.
Last summer I spent $2400 for a new filter and variable speed pump. I handcleaned the pool all summer. Usually while I was in it. I may end up doing that again:/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.