I'm wondering if anyone else has experience issues with a Dolphin Active 30i or similar pool cleaner.

Issue 1: Sometime, more often than not, the cleaner does not run the full cycle. Sometimes it will run 30 minutes, sometimes an hour and then it just stops. The controller is still on like it's working but the cleaner just sits there doing nothing. I have taken out the impeller and ducting and there are no obstructions. I have replaced the controller with a spare I had, same issue. I have replaced the swivel cord with a brand new one, same issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any ideas on the cause? This has been going on for probably a year or so. The pool cleaner is almost 3 years old.

Issue 2: The cord tangles, even though it has the swivel. On several occasions, I have gone out and there is actually a knot in the cable. I am currently on the third cable with this thing.

Thanks,
David

I have the Active30, not sure if it has the "i". I'm sure you know this, but the app has 2 cleaning modes, fast and normal. Fast is 60 minutes, normal is 120 minutes. So far, after 1 season and on the second, mine does either 60 minutes or 120 minutes, depending on what mode I have it set to. Maybe there's an update that could somehow fix your issue.

As to the tangled cord, I find that if you always wrap it up on the caddy the same way, it helps keep it from tangling. What I do is always the same. When finished, I set the robot on the caddy and then start wrapping up the cable starting on the end that's attached to the robot. I lay the swivel on the cable holder and then start wrapping the cable. Sometimes, I need to gently spin the cable with my thumb and forefinger and it just seems to go on perfectly. My son once wrapped the cable and must have been the wrong way. It just didn't go on right. So, I unplugged the cable from the power supply and l straightened the cable on the deck. It went on perfectly again.

Thanks Steve for the suggestions. I do tend to leave the robot in the pool, but when I do take it out and put it on the caddy, I do always wrap the cable the same way on the holder and leave pretty big loops (almost touching the robot.) I'm thinking now that it stopping mid cycle, might be related to the tracks which are a bit stretched. I have ordered a new pair along with wheels and bushings, so I'm hoping replacing those will resolve the problem.

Good luck with the new tracks and bushings. One other thought I had about the tangling is to actually unscrew the cable from the power supply and unwind it and see if it straightens itself out. I still can't believe how so many cables seem to have tangling issues.

How old?

Read the robot thread I have a link to in my signature. Last 4-5 pages detail the issues with my S300i which is the same as your A30i. I’m willing to bet a box of donuts your motor is dying just like mine. Tried rebuilding it to no avail. I decided it wasn’t worth the $450 to buy a replacement motor assembly. I’ve since gone back to using a suction side cleaner. Robots are nice but they are expensive and don’t last long.

David - I have a similar issue with the cord. Mine twists and tangles and gets knotted up almost daily. When I store it in the caddy, I wrap the cord similar to you... to fix it, I find it is easier to disconnect from the power supply, untwist and unkink it, and then screw it back in... but after another day or so it is back to being tangled again in the pool. Are these cords cheap? They are very lightweight. I'm wondering if they make a stiffer one that won't tangle as easily? I've reached out to Maytronics support for advice on what to do. My unit has a manufacture date of Dec 2018, so it's got 3 full summers under its belt. I'm wondering if I could upgrade the cord to one of the Anti-tangle 60’ power cords that come on the newer Dolphin Triton or Proteus models... but I'm sure the connection to the power supply changed between models.

Last edited:
David - I have a similar issue with the cord. Mine twists and tangles and gets knotted up almost daily. When I store it in the caddy, I wrap the cord similar to you... to fix it, I find it is easier to disconnect from the power supply, untwist and unkink it, and then screw it back in... but after another day or so it is back to being tangled again in the pool. Are these cords cheap? They are very lightweight. I'm wondering if they make a stiffer one that won't tangle as easily? I've reached out to Maytronics support for advice on what to do. My unit has a manufacture date of Dec 2018, so it's got 3 full summers under its belt. I'm wondering if I could upgrade the cord to one of the Anti-tangle 60’ power cords that come on the newer Dolphin Triton or Proteus models... but I'm sure the connection to the power supply changed between models.

The cords and connectors are common across models. There is no “thicker” cord. However a 60ft swivel cord is $199. A standard cord is $99. They are fairly easy to replace.

I have the A30i. The tangle free cord is a gimmick as it still tangles. I can completely untangle it and within one cleaning cycle it tangles up. I have had it almost 3 years now. In the first year a power supply went bad. Maytronics sent me a new one. Recently whole thing stopped working. I sent it to Marina Pool and Supply. It was the motor, which they replaced. Hopefully it will last a few more years. I previously had the Hayward Aquabot. Those didnt last. I had one go out during warranty, nobody local could fix it after multiple attempts. hayward sent me a new one, which lasted less than a year. I gave up and went with Maytronics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.