Dolphin owners, in case your PSU fails at the worst time...

josheinstein

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2022
Canfield, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hopefully this helps someone.

I recently bought a Dolphin pool cleaner and the power supply unit (PSU) died after a few months because it got wet. Now don't even get me started on the fact that a piece of equipment designed to clean a pool should be able to handle rain, but whatever... Not to mention a replacement is about $300. About half the price I paid for the whole system.

I figured it wouldn't be covered and the seller pretty much blew me off, so I decided to open it and see if there was anything obvious I could fix. Well the PSU that came with my very basic model was quite complex considering apparently ALL it does is output a 30V signal to the robot. All of the maneuvering is done on board. Certainly can't justify spending $300 on that!

What I was able to do is pick up a $60 variable DC converter from Amazon, pop off the connector from the PSU, and have the converter output the necessary voltage (approx 29.2V @ 4A) and connect the robot and presto, he's humming along sucking up all the leaves from the last storm.

Since I came across a bunch of threads of people having the same problem, figured maybe I'd throw that link and these pics up and maybe save someone $240.

In fact since the robot doesn't seem to actually be drawing more than 2.2A, you can probably get by even cheaper with a simple fixed voltage power supply. But these are super useful for a variety of things so I'm gonna keep it.

----

Oh I forgot to mention, this will probably only work for the two pin basic models. Obviously any kind of additional functionality your model has such as Bluetooth or scheduling etc would require the full brains of the PSU.

Attachments

• 20230827_172928.jpg
    20230827_172928.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230827_172630.jpg
    20230827_172630.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230827_172447.jpg
    20230827_172447.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 12
While this saves money, (I am all for saving $) there’s a potentially fatal flaw in your fix. The dolphin power supply & it’s components are double insulated & ul rated for use around pools. This is a very important safety feature that cannot be ignored that your work around does not include. What you have there is not safe & shouldn’t be duplicated.
Pony up & buy a used power supply on ebay if you don’t want to pay full price.
Also, if you used a credit card to pay for your bot you may be covered by extended warranty protection & be eligible for a claim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.