Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

I agree with what you say, but I know the inside course filter has some tears in it and the fine filter may be clogged a bit. I can and probably will soak the fine filter in soapy water to try and release dirt, however I know the course filter is $50 and the fine filter probably the same or more, so that is $100 I save off new robot. And here is the big kicker, new robot will have automation mode. So rather than a rebuild, I am looking for good price on new, but thanks for the good advice. Also curious as to what is the best solution to soak fine filter in? I thought I read somewhere that the fine filter, filers to 1 micron. But in other applications filters lower than 5 microns are not cleanable. What is the filtration spec of the fine cleaner's?

The fine filter doesn’t go down to 1 micron. It’s 15um at best. I have used OxiClean solutions (in softened water only) or trisodium phosphate. You can use automatic dishwasher detergent too but make sure you soak and rinse then thoroughly using clean water. You SHOULD NOT use dish soap.

Hi there, really enjoying this thread! The reason for my post today is that my Active 30i served me well for about 4 years, but the control box just failed. I learned that hard way that it is not waterproof and we had a heavy rain here recently while it was exposed. At any rate, the unit and filter were pretty beat up, so it is time for a new robot. I never used the wifi/bluetooth stuff on the 30i, so an Active20 is my target replacement robot.

Is there a recommendation on whether to buy the Active20, or any of the branded products that are exactly the same (Doheny's, etc...). I All things equal (same product, same warranty), is one of the model typically less expensive than others?

Thanks so much!

Hi there, really enjoying this thread! The reason for my post today is that my Active 30i served me well for about 4 years, but the control box just failed. I learned that hard way that it is not waterproof and we had a heavy rain here recently while it was exposed. At any rate, the unit and filter were pretty beat up, so it is time for a new robot. I never used the wifi/bluetooth stuff on the 30i, so an Active20 is my target replacement robot.

Is there a recommendation on whether to buy the Active20, or any of the branded products that are exactly the same (Doheny's, etc...). I All things equal (same product, same warranty), is one of the model typically less expensive than others?

Thanks so much!
If you call Marina Spa and Pool, they can tell you which model may be a little less.

My S200 also just failed recently, after approximately 4.5 yr. Couldn't problem solve it, buying new one from Marina. Getting an Active 20, as that is the comparable model they have in stock. The S200, Active 20, Pentair Warrior SE, Explorer E30, and Triton PS are all the same.; just labeled differently and with slightly different prices. I recommend you begin an email thread with Margaret at Marina Pool and Spa. Very helpful. They are quite busy now, but they will respond.

She could not discount the E30 or the Triton PS, but had some wiggle room on the Active 20. The Pentair Warrior SE, and S200 are not in stock. I am getting an awesome deal on an Active 20. Margaret verified that parts from my S200 could be used on the Active 20. I decided to reuse my filter basket, spring filters, and ultra fine filters. Side note, I have never used my fine filters; spring filters do a great job and are very quick to hose off since flat mesh material. My basket and spring filters are in good enough shape. Also, I am reusing my power supply unit and power cord. It works now to give power to Ghostlight, my S200, as evidenced by it's light turning on, but Ghostlight won't move. So, if my power supply unit works with my Active 20, great; I'll use it till it fails. then get a replacement at that time.

Long story short, if some of your parts are in good shape, use them and have Margaret remove some items from the box to lower your costs. The only thing is you are going from an Active 30 to an Active 20, so call or email her to verify your parts would be interchangeable with the Active 20.

Back in the market for a robot after a house fire (not able to use pool last summer, lost old Nautilus Plus in the fire). Is this still the one to get? Any recent purchase experiences? Many seem to be out of stock at Marina. Can someone summarize the filter modification they do, and how important is it to get it? Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry about your fire. I picked up the S200 a few years ago and have been nothing but happy with it. Appears to be available on the Marina web page?

Reactions: JMadden
I believe this is now our 5th year with our Discovery! Absolutely LOVE this cleaner. Unfortunately the blue cover over the power line running into the unit has developed a break with exposed wires. Luckily it is up near the control box and not in the water. Anybody know if the cable can be replaced? Everything still works great!

EDIT: Looked into it and just ordered a replacement cable WITH swivel. Hopefully that helps a little as that's the only thing that aggravated me was the cable twisting. Video makes it looks very easy to replace. Awesome $150 and I get to keep the old girl going!

Last edited:
Yes you can source and install a new cable. Why not patch/repair the cable sheath since it is close to control box and out of the water?
And I'll add to this. They once upon a time assembled this so there has to be a way to possibly get in there , disconnect the cable and shorten it by what it takes to get it to clean slate and then reconnect, just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Oly
Just wondering re: cable twisting... This topic used to bounce around a bit. Mine has the swivel as part of the cable, and is equivalent to Maytronics Dolphin with the tilted floater arms and it does a brilliant job of cleaning and filtering.

I've tried laying the cable in the sun pulled out straight, laying in shade, laying warm, laying cold, etc. for multiple days.. mas985 once suggested pre-twisting it opposite to how it gets twisted, and that does help a little, because it does twist the same way each time. Have there been any breakthroughs or brands for which the twisting never, or seldom, occurs?

Pool Robot.png <-- this style

I will just weigh in with my swivel opinion - great idea, lousy in practice. My Dolphin Active 20's cable gets all twisted up after just one run session. Swivel does nothing. I think it is just too stiff. It is really disappointing as that was a key feature I was looking for when replacing our old Autobot.

I will just weigh in with my swivel opinion - great idea, lousy in practice. My Dolphin Active 20's cable gets all twisted up after just one run session. Swivel does nothing. I think it is just too stiff. It is really disappointing as that was a key feature I was looking for when replacing our old Autobot.

I agree -- love the cleaning job our Dolphin E30 (equivalent unit to the rest here) does, but the cable gets a significant tangle after just 1-2 runs, I'm pretty sure always in the same direction. I'll double check tomorrow, but think it's always twisting in the clockwise direction as seen from the robot, such that untwisting counterclockwise from the power supply end straightens it. I think it does try to make equal numbers of right and left turns, but I wonder if there's a firmware bug or miscount that results in a few extra left turns each cycle. I leave mine in the water all the time, so it's noticeable after a few days, but it does keep running without pulling the power supply off the wall for a week when I go that long between emptying.

The swivel does seem fairly useless where it is -- it's stiff enough and the twist shows up much farther back on the cable (where it's floating) that I suspeect it never gets enough torque to actually swivel. I wonder if it would work better if it were either farther up (say in the middle of the cable) or right on the robot itself.

If it's really bad, you can simply replace the swivel cable with a non-swivel version. The non-swivel replacement cable goes for $99 and it's a pretty easy replacement process that you can do yourself.

great idea, lousy in practice
Yeh, I agree with you. I've only seen the swivel turn when applying the unwinding force of sorting it out from above the water. I took a close look at it, thinking maybe there would be a way to lubricate the swivel, but it's very well sealed to meet other needs. It seems too stiff to unwind due to the gentle force of the robot moving.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.