Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Hey friends, I have a Triton that is about 3.5 years old that is having an issue. When turned on it will start to move then stop after a few feet. It will repeat this once again then stop. Does this suggest a drive motor problem? Unfortunately it seems there is one motor unit and it is quite expensive. Has anyone rebuilt one? Other suggestions? Thanks

Edit: it looks like the motor may be binding due to worn bearings, probably will try replacing all those first. Anyone else had experience with this issue?

Last edited:
That's what mine did when it needed a new motor. Replacing the entire motor unit is a 2 minute job.

Someone here was able to repair his motor unit, opening the case and (iirc) replacing the small impeller motor which was his cause of motor failure. You might search and decide if you are handy enough to try that path. From memory it was a very inexpensive repair.

I am sorry for this news Swimbo, but I think you are correct about the motor, however, you may want to check the impeller, it can collect hair and other debris and cause a similar problem, but usually the motor. I was lucky mine failed under warrantee.

Sounds like motor replacement is the easier per djw. How much is the motor for these (i.e. S200)?

I have a 3 year old S200 going strong. It doesn’t have a swivel cable. At this time of year with pool cover on, my cable gets that much more tangled. Is it possible to replace my cable with a swivel cable?

This is the new model of my version:

I am pretty sure you can add a swivel, however I do not think the cost of parts may be worth it and there are a lot of units that have defective motors. Be a shame if you spent $150 to replace swivel, then motor go out and need some of the soft plastic replaced. I think it may be better to put up with it until you need to buy a new one. I have an active i30 had swivel added by warrantee. But it still tangles just not quite as bad. Parts from manufactures are always expensive. I did not notice that the tangles get worse with cover on it seems to me to be dependent on running time, but with cover on I do run more cycles between cleaning out filters and untangling cord. Just do not think a swivel will solve all your tangle problems , it just decreased them some for me.

Got it. Thanks pool amateur. You made a good point that of course replacing one thing, something else could go out; that’s just the way it could work when the system is messed with.

Thanks for your replies. Today I tested it without the wheels and tracks and it seemed to have the same behavior -- run for a few seconds then stop. There is no obvious issue with the motors. They seem to be turning properly, the impeller is working. But it is possible the motor is shutting itself down due to some failing internal diagnostic. I don't know how smart the electronics are in terms of that. The other possibility is a failing power supply, it is making a high pitched whine but many power supplies do that. I see some sites have the drive motor available separately but I don't want to blindly start replacing things.

Edit: ok it could be an impeller motor issue. It stops after testing the impeller, even though it seems to work it might not be 100% and the electronics may be detecting a higher than expected current. So I will probably try this first Repairing the impeller motor of Dolphin S50

Last edited:
Commentary I’ve seen before is it can detect anomalies and will shut down. And consequently good luck figuring out the cause. Their approach is largely replace the motor, though other approaches might be effective sometimes, the supplies may be hard to come by.

I recently replaced my 4 year old Doheny Discovery's worn out power cord. I opted to stay with the non swivel type, because of cost. I did not want to throw too much money at a 4 year old robot, but couldn't toss it because it works well. To my surprise, the replacement cord it a lot thicker in diameter and it does not tangle up like the original one. Not sure how thick the newer S200 robots come with, but for $99, it worked out for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I replaced the rear bearing on the impeller motor which was not frozen but just a little sticky and cleaned out a TON of carbon dust. Good news is that the robot is now half way through a cleaning cycle! But on further reflection I think the rubber cup at the front of the motor is supposed to be filled with grease to help seal the shaft and it was empty so I should probably do that. I also forgot to put the desiccant bag back in the motor case. Hopefully I can get some more time out of this robot, I will probably replace the plastic wheel bearings now. Unfortunately the drive motor is not easy to disassemble but is available for $90 online.

Apparently the impeller motor is an award winning design from dongzheng motor but probably exclusive to maytronics.

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
It’s kind of like a washing machine ... you’d think replacing a bad shaft bearing wouldn’t be all that complicated or expensive but, when all is said and done, you’re half way to the price of new machine. Do you dump money into the old tried & true or take your chances with a new machine ... hard choice.

Swimbo, Good info for future so people have more knowledge and can make the decision on whether to fix or buy new. Also, if there was a ton of carbon dust it is probably from the brushes and they may be worn out also. I already made the decision that when my Active i30 goes I will buy an s200 or analogous provided the prices do not jump. One big reason is I want the automation mode and mine is too old and does not have it. however the other reason is, I see wear on several other parts that will probably need replacing and when all totaled up will be cheaper to just buy new.

I bought the Dolphin S200 at Marina two years ago tomorrow and about a week ago the tracks just stopped turning. The impeller seems to be working fine. The unit starts up, blows water/bubbles but the tracks never move and then eventually it shuts off. I took it apart, cleaned everything I could find, made sure I could turn the tracks myself, etc and still no joy.

I emailed Marina Pools twice last week because I read on here they had sent a new motor out on warranty for someone. They have never responded.

I did find and try just replacing the inner motor that turns the wheels but still no luck. I really thought that would fix it. I don't see how it could be the cord or power unit when literally everything else works fine, just the wheel motor doesn't turn. Any other ideas on repairing this thing short of a new $500 motor? I really don't want to go back to a Kreepy but I don't want to be out $500 every two years or spend probably $1200 on a new one from a local pool store either.

Edited to remove incorrect information about the warranty.

Last edited:
I bought the Dolphin S200 at Marina two years ago tomorrow and about a week ago the tracks just stopped turning. The impeller seems to be working fine. The unit starts up, blows water/bubbles but the tracks never move and then eventually it shuts off. I took it apart, cleaned everything I could find, made sure I could turn the tracks myself, etc and still no joy.

I emailed Marina Pools twice last week because I read on here they had sent a new motor out on warranty for someone. They have never responded. After reviewing my receipt, I see there is language included about no warranty if purchased over the internet so buyer beware if you don't live near them.

I did find and try just replacing the inner motor that turns the wheels but still no luck. I really thought that would fix it. I don't see how it could be the cord or power unit when literally everything else works fine, just the wheel motor doesn't turn. Any other ideas on repairing this thing short of a new $500 motor? I really don't want to go back to a Kreepy but I don't want to be out $500 every two years or spend probably $1200 on a new one from a local pool store either.
Is it past the 24 month maytronics factory warranty? Did you call maytronics tech support directly? My understanding is that when you buy from Marina by "phone", it is considered a brick and mortar sale from a factory authorized dealer. Back when I started this thread, I had just bought my Doheny Discovery by phone from out of state (none in CA) and ended having a bad power unit. I called up Maytronics and tech support sent me a new power unit within the week. Good luck.

Is it past the 24 month maytronics factory warranty? Did you call maytronics tech support directly? My understanding is that when you buy from Marina by "phone", it is considered a brick and mortar sale from a factory authorized dealer. Back when I started this thread, I had just bought my Doheny Discovery by phone from out of state (none in CA) and ended having a bad power unit. I called up Maytronics and tech support sent me a new power unit within the week. Good luck.
Thank you so much for this! I just got off the phone with Maytronics and they are going to have me send it in for warranty repair!!!

I have edited my original post to remove my incorrect assumption about the warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.