Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Call Marina in Denver on the part for the Active 20. Remember as a TFP supporter you are eligible for a discount on parts from Marina.

When I have lots of leaves I scoop them first then run my Active20 to clean up the small stuff. So have not had the issues you are having.

Reactions: blueman2
Right now, I run my robot without the non-return flap installed and it picks up leaves GREAT. Even when the floor is covered with leaves, the robot picks them up. I just have to stop it after 30 minutes as the basket will already be full, then run it again. Only downside is that when I pull the robot out of the water, a good bit of leaves and junk flow back into the pool since the return flap is gone. I ordered a new non-return flap and plan to hack the old one a bit to see if I can solve the leaf clogging issue while maintaining the ability to not have stuff fall out of the robot when pulling it out of the pool. I will report back if I can get anything that works well for me.

BTW, I ordered the non-return flap online from Marina, but the system would not accept the discount code for FTP supporters. Since the price was so low, I did not bother calling. But I guess in the future I have to call in order to get the discount code applied? For anyone interested, Marina was BY FAR the lowest cost supplier of this part. Half what the next best source priced it. I did a price check on some other items as well and found Marina to always be the low price winner. So even without the supporter discount, Marina will be my go-to provider of parts for my robot.

Reactions: ctrav
I would call Marina and ask. If you need a code from TFP, let us know and we can ask one of the Admin how to get that.

Reactions: blueman2
Success! I was able to modify the non-return flap in my Active 20 to allow leaves to enter without clogging, yet still reduce backflow of debris out of the robot when removing from water. The non-return flap at the bottom has 2 metal bars in it. They ensure that when the robot stops, the flap drops and prevents backflow of debris. I removed one of the 2 metal bars by cutting a small hole in the flap and sliding the bar out.
1.jpg
As you can see below, this allows a much larger opening for leaves and larger debris.
2.jpg

And the flap still will drop and effectively prevent backflow of leaves when the robot is turned off.
3.jpg

I tried this and it worked well. It did not clog even with larger leaves, and there was no backflow of debris when I removed the robot from the pool. I am going to keep this modified non-return flap in place for the rest of the leaf season, then use an unmodified flap for the normal season. The flap was less than $5 from Marina, so a cheap solution.

I have had my Active20 for a week, and it is wonderful. I opted to keep my pool open this year (middle TN...lots of leaves), and although I tried to do a good job dipping leaves, there were a few times where the leaves just got out of control and sat there a few days. Not surprisingly, leaves drop a ton of "stuff", so my pool was pretty dirty. I have run the Active20 5 times (by the third it was in great shape), and as far as I can tell, it is pretty much spotless. Walls are clean, waterline is clean, floor is clean, just looks great. Water is cloudy, and I am going to work on chemistry this week. Pretty sure PH and chlorine are off.

Main takeaways:
1. Coverage does not seem to be 100%. My floor was dirty, and after the first run, it looked like about 80% of the floor got vacuumed. I could visibly see the clean/dirty spots. However, that is fine with me. IMO, the job of the robot is not to be able to handle the mess that was in there. The job of the robot is to clean up small messes, but really, the task at hand is to take a fairly clean pool and just keep it tidy. If I get 80% coverage per run for 2-3 runs per week, that should be sufficient to actually hit the entire floor/walls and get full coverage. My plan is to run it 2-3 times a week, and maintain the cleanliness.

2. Ease of use - stick it in pool, hit the power button. It is that easy. Rinsing the filters is also easy. After the first three runs, the filters were pretty gross...slime, worms, etc. Fourth and fifth runs they were really in good shape, but I went ahead and rinsed/cleaned anyways.

All in all, this seems to be a great unit. It will be really nice to toss in the pool when I go to the gym in the morning, and pull it out before I leave for work. Done and done and I don't have to vacuum by hand.

Im into a month of owning a S200 refurbished from poolpartz.com, had a great cupon from ebay and got it for 595.99. I dont have much of a problem with leaves so i only use the fine filter and im amazed as to how much it cleans. Run it every 3 days and clean the basket every weekend. Very happy with its performance.

Felipe

Maddie:
It comes with a 1 year factory warranty. In the box they state that the unit has been rigorously checked, all tracks and rollers changed for new ones and comes with both fine and course filters brand new. Even the box is brand new. So that is a lot of confidence to start with. Since im in Mexico we are very used to not using warranties for US bought things so we always take that risk. All my equipment was bought on ebay, good luck so far and keeping fingers crossed.

Felipe

@Flying Tivo (Felipe), keep us posted please on your machine. I'm curious to know how well the refurbished units run and last. I would love to be able to recommend them comfortably with assurances that they're just as good as new ones.

Maddie :flower:

Our Poolpartz.com refurbished unit (Active 20 model) has been used for 2 seasons with 100% reliability so far. I use it about 2 times per week for about 6 months per year and remove it from the pool when not in use. I got a steal on the price for ours ($499 for some reason).

Reactions: JMadden

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi, all. The larger brush on my Doheny Discovery was damaged (torn on one end) when the cord somehow got pulled through it. The cord was pretty twisted up at the time, so I assume that contributed to the robot being able to pull the cord into and through the roller. In any case, I called Maytronics and they gave me a part number (9983122). They said they don't sell repair parts directly and we'd have to find someone to sell it to us. We did internet searches for that part number and got zero hits. Marina Pool popped up a parts diagram for "Doheny's Discovery", but it must be an earlier model because it is definitely a different design. I finally called Doheny, gave the unit model, and the part needed and they told us it was part number 9983122-R1 and so we ordered one from them. It came in the other day, but it is obviously not the right part. It appears to be the smaller roller. I will call them back, but if someone already has a 'go to' S200 parts supplier or maybe an accurate parts diagram please advise. Thank you!

Main takeaways:
1. Coverage does not seem to be 100%. My floor was dirty, and after the first run, it looked like about 80% of the floor got vacuumed. I could visibly see the clean/dirty spots. However, that is fine with me. IMO, the job of the robot is not to be able to handle the mess that was in there. The job of the robot is to clean up small messes, but really, the task at hand is to take a fairly clean pool and just keep it tidy. If I get 80% coverage per run for 2-3 runs per week, that should be sufficient to actually hit the entire floor/walls and get full coverage. My plan is to run it 2-3 times a week, and maintain the cleanliness.
That’s good to know your opinion on expectations for your robot. I’m moments away from (finally) purchasing the Active 20 now that I have my new pool. Do you use a DIY caddy? That’s the one thing I’m tempted by the S300/i is the caddy—I’ve thought about it a lot and just don’t think long-term I’ll use the app-based options and time options and such on the S300/Active 30 that and Marty sold me on the A20.
Getting 80% floor coverage, is this on just the 1, 2 hour run? Are you going to leave it in all day and doing weekly schedule?

My experience having owned one for a full season. I did not get the caddy, no real need as my pool house is close by and I store the unit inside on its side after a good rinse. I keep the control unit inside the house as it is closer to the electrical receptacle I use, easy. I don't keep the unit in the pool and pull it out each time rising it and cleaning the filters after each run. I don't like having cleaning equipment in the water unless its running and I'm guessing keeping it clean/dry and out of the elements will prolong the life of the wear items. The only run option is 2 hours and most of the time this is sufficient although there have been a few times I pressed the button again for more, again easy. I too realized no need for the app options and am not missing them. As for how often I run the unit, in the winter once weekly unless there is wind then it is as needed. In the summer twice a week and always before guests arrive. Again this depends on need and coincides with wind events for my place. My unit came with the individual filter panels both pleated and mesh. I did order the mesh basket that fits inside the pleated panels and use them together now. This pool cleaner is a giant step forward in pool maintenance and has reduced the time and stress involved significantly. Enjoy yours.

Reactions: KDpoolguy
If you get an A20 or S200 from Marina, have them remove the rough/mesh filters and replace it with the rough/mesh basket. Then you can use the basket together with the mesh pleated filters as Oly and I do (great combo for effectiveness). I believe they do this swap at no cost. I too did not need a caddy as it is stored 6' from the pool's edge on it's side in a shed with ample room. I wanted least money, least features, and all the cleaning power.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDpoolguy
...have them remove the rough/mesh filters and replace it with the rough/mesh basket. Then you can use the basket together with the mesh pleated filters as Oly and I do (great combo for effectiveness).
Do you mean the (from Maytronics website) “
Choose between two filtration options to capture rough debris or fine dirt.“?
I know Marty had mentioned this request for the type of filter.

Does anyone use the GFI outlet in the side of their Easytouch panel to power their robot?

Folks have mentioned that when buying lower level S series robots (or twins), which do not come with the inner basket liner (4-sided, no top or bottom), from Marina Pool & Spa, that they will remove the rough (mesh) filters and substitute the inner basket.

Does that answer your question?

The filter swap in the past has been no cost by Marina.
I use the GFCI outlet I installed on the side of the ET enclosure to power our robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.