Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Thinking of putting a lot of decorative rock in the backyard areas to cover any exposed dirt. Probably 1-3 inch size rocks or potentially 3-5 inches in certain areas. Smooth rocks. Thinking black river rock or black beach pebbles. Except for a small rectangle of sod that has yet to be installed. I was discussing this with the gardener and the need to maintain the grass for the dogs. I do not want turf but I was looking up how to decorate their potty area with a border and read dogs can go potty on river rock. Would I use sprinklers in the area as if it were sod? I would still do a raised border to prevent humans from stepping in the rectangle. Has anyone used rock as a potty?

Thank you for the lime info! And I agree yes—training them away from grass (or dirt as it is now) will be hard. The dogs used to have so much grass and now so little but they actually seem to love their new play and hiding areas.

Kids started to play in the dirt rectangle and I had to put a stop to it because that area is a dog potty in my mind. And I don’t want people walking inside it so thinking a raised border all around.

That area is prepped for sod and will be the only exposed dirt (except for in planters) as I try to cover the backyard with rocks. I told the landscaper I wanted it all uniform, either all black rocks, all white, or all gray. But if I end up trying rocks for the dog area, brown or golden beach pebbles seems fitting.

So happy to hear clean up is a snap! Going to try to install rock in other (human) rectangle area first to see how dogs adapt to that. Was advised to reconsider turf instead of rock and they have turf that really looks like grass (including blade portions that are dyed browned to look like dying grass—go figure).

Since my dogs are in the pool pretty much daily, I didn't want the grass, dirt, etc getting in the pool. The biggest negative to artificial grass is direct sun heats it up. Providing some shade helps, and it is working out great for me.

I also have River Rock - and my one dog seems to use that more than the grass for some reason.

View media item 160867
View media item 160868
---- edit ---
For what it is worth - I have received a LOT of compliments on the artificial grass and how good it looks.

Since my dogs are in the pool pretty much daily, I didn't want the grass, dirt, etc getting in the pool. ---- edit ---
This! And you have both! And travertine pavers (which I now realize too late are so much easier to clean). And I like the larger rock border (to keep humans out)—I was thinking wood or cement pavers—did not even think rock.

I was directed to turf because I was told river rock would be difficult to clean (he did not know if beach pebble would be easier). But it sounds like it might be ok.

Last edited:
I left some grass for the dog. It’s extra work but I guess that’s the price for having a pet. Anything else will stink overtime without watering and cleaning.

Anything else will stink overtime without watering and cleaning.
Not all artificial turf is equal. I purchased one that is intended for pets. It drains quickly, cleans very easily, and I have not had an odor problem in 6 months (if it does develop there are pet-safe products to apply). I blow the tree debris off daily, and pick up the poop at least as often. Again... I know my dogs. They would tear up real grass if limited to a small area - they just are high-energy working breeds. This has no signs of wear so far, and they stay very clean. Not only good for the pool, but good for the floors in my house during rainy periods.

As for smaller pebble, it will get everywhere. I do have an 18" x 18' section of that as well between my house and the travertine decking. It is great for drainage to the french drain, but part of my daily blowing is to push those pebbles back off the deck to where they belong. I am glad I don't have more, and that most of it is covered with potted plants.

Reactions: KJB1
And I like the larger rock border
This is one of the more expensive parts to my landscaping. That rock, the rock that lines the fence, and another decorative stack of rock that isn't in those pictures came from when the PB hit granite during the dig. The contract read that if solid granite was hit during the dig, it would be $3700/day. Fortunately that vein of granite only took one day to break up - but that is what the granite cost me... I kept it and used it to get some value out of the expense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is one of the more expensive parts to my landscaping... (snipped) I kept it and used it to get some value out of the expense!
Hey that’s a great story. It’s custom (and very pricey) rock.

Thank you for the inspiration. Even if I go sod I plan to get large rocks for the border now.

Reactions: Tcadwall0
Hi. I went to a landscaping stone yard yesterday and they do not sell rock like yours (irregular straight and slants). Mostly rounded boulders. I’m going to try a different stone yard because I prefer yours but it is unique. Good news is I found rock I like for much cheaper than the ones on Home Depot I was interested in. And that’s good because I will need way more rock than I anticipated.

I have been using construction rock for 13 years now for my dog. I put it off the porch when I finished building my house cause I had no yard. Didn’t want the dog in the mud. Best thing I ever did. My dog will not poop or pea on grass so I don’t have to worry about him on walks. He just goes in the street cause it’s like rock I guess. Both of my dogs are like this. We just pick up his poop daily. I roast down the rock like maybe 2 times a year. Never ever ever has a smell. And we eat on our back porch. The rock is prop 20 inches deep. When I did the pool I used left over retaining wall material to match a wall to hide the area. Cause I used. I use paper gates. So figured now was the time to make it blend and look good. I had landscaping around the baby gates so you didn’t see it anyway. People always laugh when the dog runs out of the grass to his area. Best thing we ever did.

again zero smell ever. Even in summer heat. Prob cause the rock drains so well cause it’s drain tile rock. I just keep adding to it whenever I need. But my buddy has it at his yard all the time for his excavation company so it doesn’t cost me anything. I put go fill a bunch of buckets.

Attachments

• F7269F55-E317-4F05-8281-F51A5D95C47C.jpeg
    F7269F55-E317-4F05-8281-F51A5D95C47C.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 01F62A19-A8E2-418A-9026-461F5BF5E92C.jpeg
    01F62A19-A8E2-418A-9026-461F5BF5E92C.jpeg
    871.3 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Cena_sea
We ended up choosing sod professional installed--then removing and doing a diy project using rocks (pebbles) for their bathroom. We put in stepping stones so I could walk across. So far so good with rocks. The dogs know it's their main area (this area has sprinklers so clean up is easy while the other area only has a drip line because that area was always going to only have rocks and planters). We removed sod to minimize mud, but we are using much less water with rocks so that is an added benefit.

Edit: I just checked online usage and yes, there was the one month where water ballooned but every other month we've used less water. From the time of the dig to now--we have always used less than prior to pool. Since we removed the last of the sod from the backyard we are probably going to use even less water.

We also have the weird thing where we've used the same or less electricity post pool vs pre pool. I also got a letter from PG&E putting us in the great at energy usage category vs similar homes. I'm not sure what has happened but I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.