Does The Pentair Intelliflo VSF 3.0 HP Have An Auto Shutoff Feature

Aug 18, 2016
Columbia MD
I've seen this question asked before but not about this pump and no definitive answer.

I was wondering if this pump loses prime, will it eventually shut off to prevent damage.

The manual says this under Priming Features - Loss Of Prime :
Default: Enabled
This feature allows the pump to recognize unanticipated low-flow or no-flow situations​
while running a program.​
For example, the pump will pause for one (1) minute after detecting that it has lost​
its prime unexpectedly. After this pause the pump will attempt to prime, and if prime​
is successful it will continue programmed operation. If priming is not successful the​
pump will continue attempting to prime, per normal priming operation, until a prime is​
achieved or priming error occurs and is displayed.​

Notice it doesn't say anything about what happens if it can't ever prime.

But then it says under Priming Features - Max Priming Duration:
Default: 11 minutes
The maximum priming time can be set from 1 - 30 minutes. This setting is the amount​
of time the pump will try to prime before it gives a priming error. If this occurs, fill the​
pump basket with water and restart the pump.​

"Restart the pump" implies that the pump has shut down. But again nowhere does it state explicitly that if the pump loses prime and cannot regain it after the set time, the pump will shut down and you will have to fix the problem and restart it. That phrase might mean if it can't prime you need to shut off the pump yourself, clear the obstruction and restart the pump.

The reason I ask is I'm having to install a Paramount MV Fuse which is a Safety Vacuum Relief System on my debris canister to make the pool VGB compliant.
Since I have in-floor jets that cause the pressure to fluctuate when it moves between zones, I worry that it will trigger the SVRS which in turn opens the canister to air.
If this happens while I'm away I don't want the pump running dry until I discover the problem.

The reason I ask is I'm having to install a Paramount MV Fuse which is a Safety Vacuum Relief System on my debris canister to make the pool VGB compliant.
Who says that it is required?

Do you have dual drains?

If someone tells you that it is "Required" ask them to cite chapter and verse of the code that say that it is required.

My pool service company.

They said they won't even give me a quote for a closing until I have one installed.
Other companies have said something similar without specifying the MV Fuse.
I talked to Paramount who said installing one will make the pool compliant.

But this is the subject for a whole different thread. I could talk about VGB for hours. Right now I'm just concerned about the pump.

My pool service company.

They said they won't even give me a quote for a closing until I have one installed.
Other companies have said something similar without specifying the MV Fuse.
I talked to Paramount who said installing one will make the pool compliant.

But this is the subject for a whole different thread. I could talk about VGB for hours. Right now I'm just concerned about the pump.
MV Fuse operates on vacuum, not varying water flow from an IFCS. Block a suction port and, if the flow can't move to another, it is pulled open. The instructions don't indicate if it will auto re-set. A Vac-Less SVRS will. Easy install if needed.

Split drains and the proper VGB covers make pool VGB compliant. VGB only addresses commercial pools unless Maryland has different ideas.

MV Fuse operates on vacuum, not varying water flow from an IFCS. Block a suction port and, if the flow can't move to another, it is pulled open. The instructions don't indicate if it will auto re-set. A Vac-Less SVRS will. Easy install if needed.

Split drains and the proper VGB covers make pool VGB compliant. VGB only addresses commercial pools unless Maryland has different ideas.
In Maryland, pools are regulated by county. In my county (Howard), the very last regulation says:
3109.5 ENTRAPMENT AVOIDANCE. Suction outlets shall be designed and installed in accordance with ANSI/APSP-7.​

ANSI/APSP-7 (2020) - ANSI/PHTA/ICC-7 2020 American National Standard for Suction Entrapment Avoidance in Swimming Pools..
Section 1 "Scope" says:
The purpose of this standard is to establish anti-entrapment performance requirements for public and residential swimming pools ....​

Section 6 is entitled "Existing Pools and Spas" which too technical for me to understand.

Section 6.6.3 "Blockable Sump" says:
A drain cover cannot be used to convert a blockable SOFA into an unblockable SOFA.​

It seems pretty clear that they require even existing residential pools to comply and that a VGB cover alone is not sufficient.

My pool was built in 1998 and has only a single drain. Adding a second drain would be prohibitively expensive, even if I could find someone to do it.
It would be cheaper to fill in the pool.

In Maryland, pools are regulated by county. In my county (Howard), the very last regulation says:
3109.5 ENTRAPMENT AVOIDANCE. Suction outlets shall be designed and installed in accordance with ANSI/APSP-7.​

ANSI/APSP-7 (2020) - ANSI/PHTA/ICC-7 2020 American National Standard for Suction Entrapment Avoidance in Swimming Pools..
Section 1 "Scope" says:
The purpose of this standard is to establish anti-entrapment performance requirements for public and residential swimming pools ....​

Section 6 is entitled "Existing Pools and Spas" which too technical for me to understand.

Section 6.6.3 "Blockable Sump" says:
A drain cover cannot be used to convert a blockable SOFA into an unblockable SOFA.​

It seems pretty clear that they require even existing residential pools to comply and that a VGB cover alone is not sufficient.

My pool was built in 1998 and has only a single drain. Adding a second drain would be prohibitively expensive, even if I could find someone to do it.
It would be cheaper to fill in the pool.
Obviously, Maryland does have a different idea. If your pool is ever re-plastered it would likely be a requirement to split the drains, it is here. Usually, at least here 3000 miles away, don't have to bring pools to current code unless work is being done. May be different there. I understand your pool company wanting to avoid possible liability if something were to ever happen.

Would still consider the Vac Less. Easy install, auto reset IF it is ever needed. You don't want one that won't do that. They do seem to cost a bit more, but the convenience is more than worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.