Bedford, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC: 7.0 (just coming down from a shock)
CC:0.5
pH:7.0 (dropped from 7.5 to 7.0 overnight)
TA:160
CH:50

Pool is fiberglass so it's not a concern for leaching calcium but it seems like I'm always fighting to keep my pH up.

At the same time, won't adding acid w/ aeration to get TA down further reduce my CH?

Chemistry isn't my strong suit...

Recommended Levels
250 ppm CH is recommended as it is recommended by most fiberglass manufacturers and it keeps cobalt staining from happening.

Adding acid does not reduce CH. Only removing pool water and replacing it with lower CH water will reduce CH.

Your pH should rise quickly with a TA of 160.

What is your CYA?

Recommended Levels
250 ppm CH is recommended as it is recommended by most fiberglass manufacturers and it keeps cobalt staining from happening.

Adding acid does not reduce CH. Only removing pool water and replacing it with lower CH water will reduce CH.

Your pH should rise quickly with a TA of 160.

What is your CYA?
CYA is 32

It looks like the only way to increase CH is to add calcium chloride salt...30 pounds of it according to pool math. Will that make the water salty?

Calcium chloride will not make your water salty.

Your signature says the pool needs a new gel coat. If it is in rough shape, I would not add the calcium. It is a preventative to staining. If you do not care about the looks, do not add it.

What test kit are you using? Please add that to your signature.

Calcium chloride will not make your water salty.

Your signature says the pool needs a new gel coat. If it is in rough shape, I would not add the calcium. It is a preventative to staining. If you do not care about the looks, do not add it.

What test kit are you using? Please add that to your signature.
TF-100 kit.

I patched the gel coat spring 2017 and I haven't seen any new bubbles in it (but I also haven't drained it to inspect closely either).

Just so I'm understanding right, the reason for increased CH is to prevent staining. Right? I'm not super concerned about staining, I just thought CH may play a role in the pH. Am I off track on that?

Just so I'm understanding right, the reason for increased CH is to prevent staining. Right? I'm not super concerned about staining, I just thought CH may play a role in the pH. Am I off track on that?
CH in a fiberglass pool is primarily about staining. Some gel coat also has calcium in it that needs protection but that is typically in very old FG pools.

CH has no effect on pH.

Reactions: CountryBoy19
The pH only goes down if you are adding acid or acidic products, like trichlor or dichlor. Are you?

Again. pH only goes down if adding acid or acidic products. It cannot naturally decrease.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again. pH only goes down if adding acid or acidic products. It cannot naturally decrease.
CYA is an acid, does it have an effect on pH? That could explain the large overnight drop.

The "regular season" drops are less drastic. Usually only dropping around 0.3 over the course of a week. I'm definitely not adding any acid products during that time. Once I get CYA balanced after opening the pool I don't add anymore acid products. Just liquid chlorine and pH-plus. I have an automatic cover so my chlorine consumption is really low and I can't see any environmental factors that could be throwing things off...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.