Does anyone know where to get a shade cover like this?

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
So I was looking at wheelchair lifts for pools because my son is in a wheelchair and I wanted to give him the option to swim. But one of the sites that sells lifts had this picture:

BCED30E6-65C2-4DF2-99D3-CF489336F261.jpeg
I love the cover that they have over that pool and I’d love to get something like that, but I have no idea what such a thing is even called or where to buy one. Does anyone know anything about this or something similar or know where I might be able to buy something like this? I live in Florida and we get high winds frequently and hurricanes occasionally, so I’m thinking that whatever I get would need to either be wind rated and/or need to be easily retractable or removable.

The sun gets pretty intense here and I’d love to have something to provide some shade over the pool to help block the sun during the summer.

Brent look at that real close! That looks like it would be easy to make and set up. It looks like they have four cables (thinking coated) the two in the middle just go under the cover. The ones on the ends have a clip it looks like that goes through some rivets and over the cables on the ends. I bet that is so it can be slid over to one side.

The hardest part will be putting in the poles to hold the cables TIGHT.

I bet we can help you engineer it with the brain power here at TFP!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Newdude

this one looks neat! Has many different sizes. I did a search for "sun shade fabric" most are plain colored with that search then I added in blue and white stripe and this one came up.

I at least got you heading in the right direction. You can buy sun shade fabric from Lowes and Home Depot.

Let me know what else you find.

Kim:kim:

Ok. Have you looked into shade sails ? They are beautiful and less circus-y. Unless we need the circus vibe to make it festive for a kid, at which point we can always go that route too.

You can get square, rectangle or use multiple triangles. There are both calm and vibrant colors to choose from. The house would serve as the anchor point on that side and you would need a couple of 6x6 posts on the fence side. Either turnbuckles or some sort of carabiner clip can be used for easy removal if a storm is coming, but if they have the right tension, most can handle a pretty good storm so you would only have to take them down under the occasional hurricane watch.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I think I like the retractable shades a bit more than the sails. They are more flexible and they also allow me to let the sun hit the pool when I’m not using it to help keep the water warm.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what I installed at my previous home in GA. These shade sails were huge (24' x 24'), and each cost around $125. I had to replace them after about 4 years of wear. I installed 4x6x12 posts in cement for anchor points, then painted them to match my decor.

I used stainless steel 3/16" guide wire for installation along with stainless clips - this allowed me to take them down quickly depending on weather, or for the winter. These worked fantastic, lowering my pool water temp by as much as 10 degrees during those hot summer months when the water would hit in the mid to upper 90's. The shade was fantastic for the pool area!

All together the installed cost (did it myself) was less than $500, and the recurring cost is only $250 for new shade sails every 3-4 years.

If I were doing this again, I think I would add a stainless winch assembly to each sail to easily change the tension from the ground.

Yeager Pool.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.