Does a salt water get regular shock when first opened ?

Hi ,not sure what the temp. was but it didnt feel that cold ,as a matter of fact we commented how warm it felt ,we live in sc . maybe we did the cya test wrong .my husband and I said we could both see the black dot but we also were wondering how a black dot could disappear in clear water .

WE are also trying to figure out when to turn on the SWG. The pool store guy told us we have to know the ideal setting that ours should be on (I thought he should know that ) .when we turned it on it was on 2,000 . we are running the pool 24/7 right now to clean the pool ,also wondering when we just put it on a timer and what the right amount of time to have it set .Do we do it for 4 hours a day ?

Vera Jane,

You'll want to turn on your SWG when the pool needs regular chlorine dosage. We know based on your post yesterday the your FC was at least 15ppm (30 drops). With little to no CYA that should drift down fairly quickly at which point you'll want your SWG producing chlorine for you. how long you need to run it will depend on your personal circumstances. You'll need to take a look at the chlorine/CYA chart to set ermine your target FC level and run it enough to keep your chlorine at your target or not below minimum for your CYA. This will take testing a good bit at first. I run my SWG at 40% for approx. 6 hours a day.

Vera Jane,

You'll want to turn on your SWG when the pool needs regular chlorine dosage. We know based on your post yesterday the your FC was at least 15ppm (30 drops). With little to no CYA that should drift down fairly quickly at which point you'll want your SWG producing chlorine for you. how long you need to run it will depend on your personal circumstances. You'll need to take a look at the chlorine/CYA chart to set ermine your target FC level and run it enough to keep your chlorine at your target or not below minimum for your CYA. This will take testing a good bit at first. I run my SWG at 40% for approx. 6 hours a day.

Hi , I was able to get some better readings today. The cya is still throwing me because I can see the black dot when its filled all the way to the top so not sure what I am doing wrong with that one. The SWG is new to us , we had an above ground pool when we lived up north but no SWG . Just want to make sure we are doing everything right with this new one.

CL-5
PH-7.2
FC-9.5
CC-0
TC-9.5
CH-150
TA-120
CYA-?

We did purchase stabilizer and baking soda yesterday . The pool actually looks beautiful and as soon as i can figure out how to put some pics on here of the yard and the pool I will. We went from a yard of pine trees to a giant orange clay mud pie and now to a beautiful backyard. Everything in my house has a nice orange hue to it now ,thanks to the dogs !!

Hi ,not sure what the temp. was but it didnt feel that cold ,as a matter of fact we commented how warm it felt ,we live in sc . maybe we did the cya test wrong .my husband and I said we could both see the black dot but we also were wondering how a black dot could disappear in clear water .

When you put the 7ml of Reaget# R-0013-C in the bottle with 7ml of pool water, the mixture turns a little "milky-cloudy" depending on how much CYA is in the pool.

It's safe to say then that you have little to no CYA in the pool. I'd get enough in there ASAP for what you want to target. Have you familiarized yourself with the chlorine/cya chart in pool school? Reccomended cya for a SWG chlorinated pool is 70-80. Which means 5 FC ppm would be target at 70 and minimum at 80. I would most definitely start running your SWG.

What got lost here maybe is if you completed your SLAM process. I see you say it's crystal clear now but did you also confirm with overnight chlorine loss test?

So I guess that I will need to add the whole 5.5 lbs if there is no CYA in the pool. maybe more . but should i start with that? Not sure what the overnight chlorine loss test is, is that in pool school ? We had used the shockwave that the pool store had sold us (Iknow,Iknow) now going forward we will only use TFP way . But it did clear up the mess between that and vacuuming . So we should start the SWG now and just run it for maybe between 4 to 6 hours? The guy at the pool store asked me what the ideal number should read on our SWG ,I have no idea .I thought he would know but told us to consult the manual .

So I guess that I will need to add the whole 5.5 lbs if there is no CYA in the pool. maybe more . but should i start with that? Not sure what the overnight chlorine loss test is, is that in pool school ? We had used the shockwave that the pool store had sold us (Iknow,Iknow) now going forward we will only use TFP way . But it did clear up the mess between that and vacuuming . So we should start the SWG now and just run it for maybe between 4 to 6 hours? The guy at the pool store asked me what the ideal number should read on our SWG ,I have no idea .I thought he would know but told us to consult the manual .

Yes on consulting your manual for salt level. I'd reccomend testing independently of what the SWG says the salt level as well. Most SWG (I think) have an ideal salt level around 3500 but will still produce chlorine at levels above and below that.

For the CYA I didn't do the math to confirm how many pounds to get to target for your pool but it that was it then go ahead and add it in some socks to hange in front of a return. It can take a while to dissolve. You can check CYA before they are completely dissolved and if it has hit your target remove them?

The test for CYA is subjective and does require being outside in full sun with your back to the sun. It sounded from previous posts that you were pretty sure there was no CYA so go for it.

Doing everything the "TFP" way is only learning what your pool needs, why and only adding what it needs by accurately testing your own water. You're on your way :)

Also do we usually need to add salt now at the beginning ? Sorry for so many questions but we want to do this the right way. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Yes on consulting your manual for salt level. I'd reccomend testing independently of what the SWG says the salt level as well. Most SWG (I think) have an ideal salt level around 3500 but will still produce chlorine at levels above and below that.

For the CYA I didn't do the math to confirm how many pounds to get to target for your pool but it that was it then go ahead and add it in some socks to hange in front of a return. It can take a while to dissolve. You can check CYA before they are completely dissolved and if it has hit your target remove them?

The test for CYA is subjective and does require being outside in full sun with your back to the sun. It sounded from previous posts that you were pretty sure there was no CYA so go for it.

Doing everything the "TFP" way is only learning what your pool needs, why and only adding what it needs by accurately testing your own water. You're on your way :)
HI , Thanks , I am looking at manual for SWG and it does have the pounds of salt needed to and also CYA amounts .Now one more thing ,are you saying not to add the cya like it says to do on the bottle ? just to hang it in front of the filters in a sock? We have done the CYA test over the last 2 days ,myself ,my daughter and my husband ,the water has been crystal clear and we have all seen the black dot in the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
add salt as needed. I check mine once a month or so. I use the Aquacheck salt test strips. The only "strip" test that is fairly reliable for testing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

How does the bottle reccomend?

We reccomend that "put it in a sock" method so you don't leave an acidic chemical sitting UNdissolved on the floor of the pool. I personally tie the sock full of the CYA granules to a foam pool noodle and give the socks a squeeze when I'm in the pool. Hanging in front of a return helps it dissolve faster. There is also liquid stabilizer but it is much more expensive.

Hope I've answered everything. :)

add salt as needed. I check mine once a month or so. I use the Aquacheck salt test strips. The only "strip" test that is fairly reliable for testing anything.

- - - Updated - - -

How does the bottle reccomend?

We reccomend that "put it in a sock" method so you don't leave an acidic chemical sitting UNdissolved on the floor of the pool. I personally tie the sock full of the CYA granules to a foam pool noodle and give the socks a squeeze when I'm in the pool. Hanging in front of a return helps it dissolve faster. There is also liquid stabilizer but it is much more expensive.

Hope I've answered everything. :)
Thanks for all the help, the bottle has three different options to backwash first and then balance water ,then after adding circulate for 24 hours and do not backwash the filter for at least 48 hoursor skimmer application is the preferred application ,slowly add the product to the skimmer in a non bleachable area ( now do they mean where the basket is or where it flows in from the pool ?) with filter and pump running or deep end application which says to add directly to water broasdcasting into the deep end .If its once a month that doesnt sound to bad , unless its lots of bags,lol. Thanks again.

I vote for the sock method all the way. It is just a matter of putting the granules in an old athletic sock, tying a knot on top and letting it take its time to dissolve, then the granules don't sit on your vinyl pool. You take all risk of potential liner damage out of the equation :)

I vote for the sock method all the way. It is just a matter of putting the granules in an old athletic sock, tying a knot on top and letting it take its time to dissolve, then the granules don't sit on your vinyl pool. You take all risk of potential liner damage out of the equation :)

If we put it in the skimmer wouldnt it go through the filter and be recirculated out ,avoiding it getting it directly on the vinyl ?

Yes. Just be sure to keep your pump running. I've never heard of anyone having any damage from putting it in the skimmer. CYA will drop the PH of water going through the pump and in theory extremely low PH "could" damage a pump but I've never seen anyone have damage from that and in reality there should be enough water volume moving through the system to prevent that.

We say the sock method as a general rule we don't reccomend chemical additions to a skimmer simply to avoid "potential" problems. It's a layer of caution. That's all

Yes. Just be sure to keep your pump running. I've never heard of anyone having any damage from putting it in the skimmer. CYA will drop the PH of water going through the pump and in theory extremely low PH "could" damage a pump but I've never seen anyone have damage from that and in reality there should be enough water volume moving through the system to prevent that.

We say the sock method as a general rule we don't reccomend chemical additions to a skimmer simply to avoid "potential" problems. It's a layer of caution. That's all
Thanks , yeah not sure since we had above ground before and seemed less complicated ,or maybe we were just younger !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.