Does a salt water get regular shock when first opened ?

We don't recommend algaecide or flock. Walmart, Home Depot and lowes are great places to buy the stuff you truly need, typically at a fraction of the cost. Some people have found pool stores to be cheaper on some items, but in my experience, that is rare. And, until you are comfortable just letting their advise pass in one ear and out the other, just avoid them. We are here to help you every step, with zero financial gain.

Okay ,so I just want regular old bleach ? We have a gallon of Muriatic acid ,I am a little afraid of this stuff since it eats through everything but we do have it . Do I start with the K-1000 test first ? Also wondering what levels we need to get to so we can get the swg turned on . Thanks

Thanks , i just took the test kit out and ran the chlorine and ph, chlorine was orange and ph was fuscia..and FC was dark pink started to do the others but they were taking so many drops of stuff that I stopped . I didnt want to use the whole test kit in one day .I knew there would be a lot of chlorine in it from the shock yesterday . I went out and vacuumed again and backwashed and rinsed and it is looking much better than yesterday . Its clear and i can see the pretty liner . there is still some muck on the bottom . I am thinking I dont need flock since everything is already on the bottom . So I guess i need to know where to go from here.

We keep saying you don't need floc. That often causes more problems than it "fixes" like gumming up your filter. And you do need to run a complete set of test results or we won't have a complete picture of your pool's "health".

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

You won't run all these each time you test but on occasion you need to.

Have you read Pool School yet? A lot of your questions are answered there in better detail... and each article (subject) is a pretty short read.

Maddie :flower:

HI All, the pool is looking much better today . I am going to go out and do the testing today and hopefully will be able to get some readings .everything was off the charts yesterday . So at what point do we want to start the SWG ?. do we have to wait until the chlorine reaches a lower level ? Also looking for some recommendations on robotic cleaners ,pool store is pushing the dolphin m400 . Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vera Jane, before you buy that monster of a cleaner (m400) I'd call Maytronics directly and confirm that the m400 is appropriate for a vinyl lined pool? I am concerned that the extra brushes may be bit much for the vinyl??

Maddie :flower:

Hi All, the pool looks beautiful today . There is still a lot of chlorine so without using all of my drops I am not able to get an accurate chlorine reading and i know thats important . but I am going to list the other things at least and maybe we can go from there
FC
CC
PH- 7.5
TA - 140
CH -175
CYA- this one was a bit confusing as we filled it to the top and could still see the black dot so I assume we need some stabilizer
We turned the SWG on briefly and it said 2,000.
Now I think we have to wait for the chlorine to dissipate before we turn on the SWG . But if i am wrong ,please let me know

The FAS-DPD chlorine test (using r-0870 powder and r-0871 drops)will measure chlorine at high levels. In scrolling back, I don't see where you have posted what your FC number is. That is a need to know number right now. For example when chlorine is over 10ppm, the PH test becomes inaccurate. It sounds like you do need stabilizer which can be found at a big box store or Walmart often as "conditioner". You will be looking for Cyuranic acid as the active ingredient.

It will help us help you to see all the test number with the FC and CC.

The FAS-DPD chlorine test (using r-0870 powder and r-0871 drops)will measure chlorine at high levels. In scrolling back, I don't see where you have posted what your FC number is. That is a need to know number right now. For example when chlorine is over 10ppm, the PH test becomes inaccurate. It sounds like you do need stabilizer which can be found at a big box store or Walmart often as "conditioner". You will be looking for Cyuranic acid as the active ingredient.

It will help us help you to see all the test number with the FC and CC.

I just kept adding the drops and nothing was happening and I didnt want to use the whole bottle so thought I would wait until the chlorine level dropped .we are running the filter 24/7 and the pool did go from swamp green to crystal clear with using the stuff we put in from the pool store when we opened the pool .I will go get some stabilizer and then will check everything again tomorrow . I am now listening to only TFP so taking the algaecide back and getting the stabilizer.

That's great that you're ready to commit to taking control of your pool :)

I'm hearing that there might be testing error in that FC test? Just to confirm, because we don't want to steer you wrong, were you using a 10ml sample? Water turned pink upon addition of r-0870 powder and then how many drops of r-0871 were you up to?

That's great that you're ready to commit to taking control of your pool :)

I'm hearing that there might be testing error in that FC test? Just to confirm, because we don't want to steer you wrong, were you using a 10ml sample? Water turned pink upon addition of r-0870 powder and then how many drops of r-0871 were you up to?

Hi ,Yes used the chlorine only bottle to 10 and was up to I think 30 drops of the r-0871 and it was still really almost red rather than pink .and never seemed to change a bit . I did purchase stabilizer tonight and will do the test again tomorrow and hopefully will have more luck .

If you truly have 0 cya and over 15 FC, that is not good for your vinyl. Which all the powder shock you put in, that is hard to believe. Was the water cold when you did the cya test?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.