MeeMeePool

Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Ohio
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, we are just beginning our pool build, the dig starts in about two weeks. Originally, when I was dreaming of our pool I was envision myself floating around peacefully in sun while husband is at work and kids off doing summer camp....but recently heard of a grown man in his mid 30s in good health who knew how to swim was found floating in his pool, was only swimming alone for 20 minutes or so, and unfortunately didn't survive.....now that and hearing in the back of my mind, my mom say never swim alone is all I can think about when I think of my pool and it's kind of (just a tiny bit) ruining my anticipation for a pool. Sorry if this is morbid, and hope it's ok to post this....how many of you are ok swimming by yourselves? Or how many of you had heard of something similar? Thanks

mmp,

Life is just full of risks... You can die in so many ways. The only thing you can do is take common sense precautions, but you can't hide in a hole in hopes of avoiding any risk.

Swimming alone is not that risky unless you are doing risky things, like diving in a shallow pool or swimming while under the influence, etc...

I say... float away and just enjoy your pool..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

What was the cause of death? Was the death directly from swimming and a situation where having others around would have definitely saved his life? These are important questions. If he had a heart attack and slumped over he might have been dead before anybody would have been able to help him. As Jim said, if he was drunk or jumping in head first to a shallow pool it also could have ended in death before anybody would have realized what was happening. Sadly people do drown with others around because by the time someone realizes so-and-so has been down a long time they already got a lung full of water. Was there a storm around and he might have gotten electrocuted by a lightning strike half a mile away? So many possibilities of what might have happened.

There are a lot of variables. Floating in the shallow end is low risk, but certainly not zero risk. But then again, nothing in life is zero risk.

We had long talks about this when we bought this house with a pool. We both agreed that if we use common sense then it would be fine! Rules are NO diving in ANY time and no more than two adult drinks if alone in the pool. It has worked for 15 yrs and I love my alone time in the pool!

That is a VERY good question by the way. It opens up good conversation!

Kim:kim:

Hubby recently commented that he periodically "checks" on me from his study when I'm floating on my particularly comfortable water hammock because I have a tendency to fall asleep ;)

Not sure how he can tell from the window if I'm dead or alive, but if that was how I went, I'd say there are worse ways to go!

So, yes, I frequently swim alone, float alone, and frequently "nap" sur la pool alone. I swim whether hubby is home or not. The only thing I avoid is late night solo hammock floats when he's away because I KNOW im quite likely to fall asleep and wake up at dawn a little well-brined!

This inclination to poolnapping has cost me a kindle (I've since taken some water-proofing measures and have a dedicated "pool" kindle) but other than that is pretty much my favorite hobby ;)

Thanks for the replies...and very good point Jim, I don't know the full circumstances surrounding the incident. It'll be something that I'll continue to think about and discuss with my husband...but glad to hear it's not crazy to be a responsible adult and use a pool alone. Thanks!!!!

My wife broke her foot early summer, can’t walk on it for quite awhile. Hard to get outside. So I have often swam alone. I thought about it at first, even questioned the practice. Now it makes no difference alone or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I swim alone often, probably 4x a week during swim season for at least a couple hours at a time. Never thought about it, to be honest. No idea what the circumstances were in that situation, but for me, driving to the grocery store a couple miles away is more hazardous than swimming laps alone in my pool.

Only thing we have is for the younger kids, only with adult supervision.

I swim all the time alone, after work watching the news and after cutting the grass. Most of the time the wife is in the Flamingo Lounge watching TV. :cool:

If I use the pool, its usually because I'm in there with the kids, etc. If I'm alone, I'm more likely to relax in the hot tub than go in the pool. That said, I never considered swimming alone all that risky.

Yes and I typically fall asleep on the float. I have thought about it but just don’t get crazy.

Do you swim alone with no one home?

Yeah, quite a bit but the owners usually ask me to leave when they get back! :shock::shock::shock:
!!! Fantastic! :gone:

Yes, I swim alone frequently, but when I'm swimming for cardio I usually keep a cell phone double zip lock bagged wrapped in a towel (to protect from heat) poolside in case of emergency/phone a neighbor.

An upgraded option might be a medical alert/emergency pendant/necklace that is waterproof and you just press in case of emergency and they dispatch medics to your GPS or programmed location. You could keep it around your neck while you swim/float. Waterproof, floating home phones are also available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.