Do they make a less dense filter element

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
I recently changed from a Hayward Max Flow VS pmp to a Jandy Pro FLow. The change over is another story entirely, which I have yet to post and will not get into that this time. The new Jandy was installed by a certified pool company to maintain the warranty. The flow rate on the Jandy is higher than the Hayward at the same rpm.
Problem-At prime speed 3450 RPM the water level never reaches the top of the pmp skimmer basket, it goes up to within an inch or so of full, however the top edge of the basket is under water. The new plumbing was checked for leaks with no suction leaks found. Pool skimmer is clean, cartridge filter is clean. We suspected a backflow/pressure issue because of the higher flow rate from the Jandy.
The tech removed the filter cartridge and ran the system. As we thought, the basket filled completely.
Two ways to go- One install a larger filter cartridge assy, two just live with it since the water level is above the basket. I don't like either ways to go. Wasn't exspecting to have to spend more money on a new filter system.
So, Iam reaching out to the masses for ideas. My pool is a basic system, 3 return jets, 1 skimmer, no drain or water features.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed an error in my signature, the filter that I have is a C1200

Reading your post and where you removed cartridge filter.

I would have figured water level would have been even lower in skimmer.

No filter restriction feeding 3 returns at prime RPM with 1 skimmer.

There are others with the expertise to help with your issue.

If I’m understanding correctly you are saying that the pump fails to prime on startup. If you open the air release valve on the filter, does it make a difference? Are you filling the pump pot with a bucket of water or hose before trying to prime? Is there a check valve between the pump and filter?

Never said it fails to prime. No check valve in system. Old pump primed perfect. Need to read the original post again. Primes jjust fine , just does not fill the pump skimmer basket all the way to the top. Water level approx 1 inch from basket being full at prime or slow speed.

If the system runs and as you said it appears to be a restriction through the filters, then lowering the rpm to a lower flow rate should solve the issue.

As chiefwej mentioned, open the bleeder on the filter with the pump running at a lower rpm (say 1500). Once the basket fills on the pump, close the bleeder.

In response to your titled question, no, I do not know of a 'less dense' cartridge filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The basket in the pump should not drain. If there are no leaks in the system, the basket stays full.

The basket is not draining. When the pmp starts on prime speed, the water rises in the basket to a level about 1 in or so below being completely full. When the pmp changes to the lower speed setting of right now set for 1750 the water level in the basket stays within an inch of the level of the prime speed level. Removing the filter element and running the pmp at any speed, the basket stays full(no restriction). My old pmp had no problems keeping the basket full(the drive/motor was taken out by lightning) thats among other reason is why I have a Jandy. The flow rate of the Jandy is higher than the Hayward was. So the Jandy is causing more pressure in the system and therfore causing a backpressure restricting the flow. Am I missing anything here in my explanation or thought process. Even the pool company says the same thing. Again am I missing something here?THanks for all your inputs.

I have got a few changes to make in the signature.

The popping sound you are about to hear is me pulling my head out of my rear end. This morning I woke up and realized I had a brand new filter element still in the box in my shed. Installed new element
and problem solved....OMG!!! The one that was in the system was an original(5yrs old). It has been discarded.
Thanks to everyone hanging there with me on this. I appreciate all the support.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.