Do I Need Anything Else Electrical?

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
The company that is coming bringing and installing my pool will do the electrical hookup. Here are pics of what I have had done. Have I done what is required of me at this point?
Do I need to have any more electrical work done before the installers arrive?

Attachments

• IMG_7550.jpeg
    IMG_7550.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7549.jpeg
    IMG_7549.jpeg
    586.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7548.jpeg
    IMG_7548.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 40
GeBo,

I assume that the hot tub subpanel has the AC feed from your main breaker panel coming in the back through the brick???

Are the installers going to run the wires from the hot tub and into the bottom of the sub panel?

Is this a Pool or Hot Tub?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hot Tub

All wiring has been done to the box attached to the brick wall.

What I am trying to figure out is is it normal for the installers to go from what I have and wire from this sub panel to the hot tub ?

I am under the assumption it is.

Gebo.

I think in most cases the cable they use is just run across the deck.. In your case, they will have to run it through your pipe.

I would not think that will be an issue, unless they have some clause about the max distance between the tub and the subpanel.

Let's see what @RDspaguy says...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did you ask the installers?

What does the manual say?
It’s a long story but I have not asked them. I don’t even know who they are. Where I purchased the Hot Tub they agreed to store it for free for one month. After that it was to go to a storage facility at $143/month. They’ve had it for 2 months and my decking should be complete in another 2-3 weeks. I don’t wanna contact the Seller until I’m within 2 weeks for certain of the completion of my deck.

sorta like colonel Klink on Hogans Heroes. “I know nothing.”

Reactions: JamesW and Jimrahbe
Did you get a permit and inspection?

Typically, the county requires a permit that is issued to a licensed electrician and a the job requires an inspection to close out the permit.

You should have a licensed electrician verify the installation to be sure that it meets all local codes.

"Do I Need a Permit?

If you are doing any of the projects listed below, you will need a permit.

(This is not an all-inclusive list. If you have a question as to whether you need a permit please call 540-772-2065.)

The Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code requires a building permit for any swimming pool that is larger than 150 square feet in surface area, holds over 5,000 gallons of water, or is 24 inches or more in-depth. The code makes no distinction between in-ground, above-ground or inflatable pools, hot tubs or spas.

In-ground Pool – fiberglass, cement or vinyl lined

Above Ground Pool

Hot Tub or Spa".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do I need to have any more electrical work done before the installers arrive?
It depends on what the installers are supposed to do.

What is specified for "Installation"?

Installation might include, or not include, a variety of things.

It might be simply deliver it to your driveway and take off.

It might be build a deck, set the tub, run electrical lines, fill the tub, balance the chemicals and get you drinks and towels for your first soak etc.

You have to ask what is included and not included and you need to know what they expect you to have ready and what they will do and not do.

The installers are to have the Hot Tub wired and running before they leave. I know they are to take the wires that are already attached to the Hot Tub and wire it to the live
electrical. My only question is are the wires from the Hot Tub gonna go directly into the box on the brick wall or do I need another "box" installed?

I'll probably give THEM some drinks after they are done. ;)

I'll track them down the end of next week. After my deck is done.

Last edited:
How do you know there are wires already attached to the hot tub?

How do you know the wires will be long enough?

I would expect there to be electrical connections at the hot tub for an electrician to run a liquidtite wire to connect to.

Dealer told me they would place my new hot tub, hook up electrical and make sure hot tub functions before they leave.
Make sure that the installers know what the dealer promised.

Never trust what one person promises someone else will do.

Most likely, the installers will be some jokers that the dealer found on Task Rabbit, Takl or Craig’s List that day.

"He told you that we would do WHAT!!!???? :ROFLMAO: That's hilarious. We don't do that. All we do is drive up to your property and push the tub off of our truck into your yard and then we drive away as fast as we can. You crack me up".

Make sure that the installers describe exactly what they plan to do and not do, what they expect you to do, what is included, what is not included etc.

Some tubs come with a plug and maybe the installer only intends to plug the unit into the socket to constitute "hook up electric".

Hook up electric can mean anything from running a line from the main panel to plugging the plug into the socket that you are expected to provide.

Never assume anything.

Always ask for the full and complete description of what a contractor intends to do.

Last edited:
Great points. Once I’m within a week of getting my deck done, I’ll get the absolute low down from the installers.

From what I’m gathering, it appears, by assumption, that I am ready for my Wellis Hot Tub electrical hookup. LOL

Reactions: JamesW
Dealer told me they would place my new hot tub, hook up electrical and make sure hot tub functions before they leave.
"Hook up electrical" is not the same as "install electrical". Ask for details.

Most likely, the installers will be some jokers that the dealer found on Task Rabbit, Takl or Craig’s List that day.
All we do is drive up to your property and push the tub off of our truck into your yard
Wow! You having a bad day James?😉That's only if you order online or from a home show/ travelling dealer. From a local dealer they have their own crew or use a spa delivery co. While they may hire day labor to help with the lifting, there's generally an experienced guy in charge.

Reactions: JamesW and Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.