Do I need a skimmer faceplate and return plug on my AGP if I drain below the skimmer?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi, my second year closing my AGP. Last year I drained the water (Indiana winters) to 6 in. below the skimmer....BUT.......I did not plug the hose to the skimmer or the faceplate, and unknowingly left the Aqualuminator return bulb in. BUGS got into my crystal clear pool over winter. I'm thinking that I will need to cover the opening to the skimmer with a wide mouth plate, and need a special? return plug for the Aqualuminator, to make sure that nothing gets into this pool.

I can't find any information on if skimmer mouths or returns need to be open for some reason, even if the water level is low (pressure relief, etc.) Can I safely plug up both, reduce water level, and have an 'airtight' system over winter? I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks in advance!

Kristin

If you get hard freezes you want your pipes and skimmer empty of as much water as you. You can put a skimmer face plate on just in case the water rises up to the skimmer from rain or such. That will keep the water from going into the pipes and possibly freezing. Several people put pool noodle pieces in the skimmer to help keep the water that does get in there from freezing and expanding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.