Do i increase cya and ph during slam?

Jun 19, 2018
Nova Scotia
In the last week my above ground 27” pool water has gone from black water to gray water to blue. However still very cloudy.
i bought a Taylor K2006 test kit however ran out of reagent to check CYA as I was doing multiple test trying to get the hang of reading the black dot. However my last reading today is 35 CYA
FC is currently 16.5 and I’m concerned that PH is very low around 6

so here is my question: do i keep on the SLAM at current 35 CYA or boost it and try to read with test strip
2nd question do i boost PH or leave it alone ? PH was close to 8 a week ago when i started putting the chlorine to the pool

Your call, but since your pH was so high before starting the SLAM, I would let the FC fall to 10 or below just long enough to check/adjust the pH to about 7.2. It won't delay the SLAM that much. Once you know the pH is lowered, increase the FC back to "16" (your SLAM level) based on a CYA of 40. Then you know it's good and won't have to check it again until the SLAM is finished.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 nd year TFP about to start. Have not done anything yet except look at the pool. Got leaves and black water. Please confirm that reading/testing CYA is my first order of business, then SLAM accordingly after removing all debris. Maybe difficult to see the dot in the test tube through the dark water. Am I on the right path ?

2 nd year TFP about to start. Have not done anything yet except look at the pool. Got leaves and black water. Please confirm that reading/testing CYA is my first order of business, then SLAM accordingly after removing all debris. Maybe difficult to see the dot in the test tube through the dark water. Am I on the right path ?
It's SLAM Process time :D

Test everything and then post up results :)
After you have results:
Usually the next step with black water is check PH and then check to see if FC holds

Are you going to SLAM? What test kit do you have? Please put it in your signature.
Lower your pH to 7.2. If the water has never had CYA in it add 30 ppm worth of CYA via the sock method. Otherwise add 20 ppm for now and retest 24 hours after the CYA is fully dissolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.