Do I have the correct sized filter?

I had a pool tech come out and help me with an issue I've been having with my filter, and he mentioned that my filter was way undersized for my pool, but everything I've read seems to say otherwise. I thought I'd check in here and see what you all thought.

I have a 35,000 IG gallon pool, and I determined that my flow rate was 73 GPM. I took 35,000/8 and got 4375 GPH, then took that and divided by 60 to get 73 GPM. I have a Hayward c4030 cartridge filter and a 1.5HP pump. Everything I've read says the c4030 handles a flow rate of 150GPM.

Am I missing anything? Do I have the right size and he's trying to get me to buy a bigger filter?

Dixon,

The good news is that your filter is just fine..

The bad news is that you went through a lot of math for nothing.. The idea that you need X turnovers a day is just a myth..

Chemicals are what keeps a pool sanitized and clear, not the number of times you run the water through the filter.. The filters job is to capture all the junk that falls into our pool.. It is not designed to keep you from having algae.

Tell us what "issues" you were having with your filter and maybe we can help...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well it turns out that my bottom manifold was actually a top manifold, lol. So debris kept blowing back into the pool and the pool wasn't clearing up. So we got that issue fixed. So fingers crossed my pool will now clear up as I try to get my chemical levels back to where they should be. I hired a new pool guy who I'm about to fire after less than two weeks because his answer to everything has been to drop gallons upon gallons of copper algaecide into my pool and told me "my filter isn't my issue". He hasn't once tested the water to see where we are before dumping more of that stuff in. I've been testing it with a Taylor kit and we are all over the place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.