Do I have a Pentair Easytouch 4 to 8?

exarkun

Gold Supporter
Oct 2, 2021
Valrico, FL
I just purchased a home with a pool and an easytouch panel. I have a superflo vs pump and want to set the speed to change when the solar heat turns on, which is how I ended up here.
How do I know for sure if I have an easytouch 4 or 8? It only has 4 relays installed, however the settings show all 7 aux and nodejs-poolController, which I just setup recently, identifies it as an easytouch 8.
Can I just purchase some additional relays and will they work, or do I need to take out the board and look to see if it has both the resistors (r41 and r42) as mentioned earlier in this thread? Anything else?

Also, the software and bootloader look to be very old compared to other versions shared here. Any concerns there? Software is version 1.050 and the bootloader version 1.010

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

I would check R41 & R42 on your board.

Your old firmware level may be a problem.

You may need to get a relay and try it.

Ex,

How old is the SuperFlo VS?

If not made in 2021, it most likely does not have any RS-485 control.

Every EasyTouch 8 came with 8 relays. If you only have 4 relay than your EasyTouch was built as an ET-4. Unless the two resistors are there, extra relays will not work.

If you don't use solar, you can add an additional Aux relay called Aux 10...

Let's see what Tom has to say about your F/W load... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ex,
You've got a first version Easytouch there... and the latest firmware you can run on that board is 1.060. I'm not sure if adding the resistors works on the "V1" Easytouch boards - but I'd be interested to know if it does! There are 2 versions of the Easytouch... basically the newer one has more program memory... more details here:

In any case, if you have an ET4 (pool AND spa) you'll have r41 but if you have an ET4P (pool OR spa) you won't have either. I can't imagine you'd hurt anything if you solder 1k resistors to the missing spots... the board might not boot up and do what you expect, but you can just take it off. I'd temporarily tack it on and see what happens.
-Tom

I finally had time this evening to unscrew the board and look. It has a resistor at r41, no resistor at r42. I temporarily put a new resistor at r42 with electrical tape and moved my pool lights from aux2 to aux 7 and powered it up. It powered up fine and aux7 works!

I took the temporary resistor off and I'll be soldering it on this weekend.

Thanks!

hey this is good to know... a firmware update isn't required for the V1 boards when you go from a 4 to an 8 (and presumably 4P/8P as well). Once you solder it on, go into Menu > Diagnostics and do a self test or check the software rev and it should say Easytouch 8 in one of them.

some of the lite boards didn't work until I also updated the firmware, and I've had V2 boards (before a certain fw version) that also wouldn't work with just the resistors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.