Do gas fired pool heaters that are properly grounded, also ground the water?

I have enjoyed recently built pool for a few seasons. My pool builder visited and noticed we don't use the ladder in the pool. He mentioned it grounded the water via the bonding grid and ladder lugs. I asked since the Hayward Cupro-Nickle heat exchanger is in direct contact with the water, and its more than 9 inches of direct contact (per code) and the grounding/bonding wire is also on the heater, wouldn't that suffice?

Anybody know?

Thanks,
KM

It depends if the heat exchanger is considered to be bonded. In some heaters, it's not considered to be bonded. Hayward sells a heat exchanger bonding kit to bond the exchanger (FDXLGND1930 Bonding Kit).

You would probably need to contact Hayward to check whether or not your heat exchanger is considered to be bonded.

Note: This is not something you can call about and get a reliable answer. Anyone answering the phone will not know the answer. You would have to email to get a legitimate answer.

I'm curious about the first part where the builder stated the water had to be grounded through the ladder to the bonding system. Is it true that the water has to have some contact with the bonding? Sounds fishy to me.

I'm curious about the first part where the builder stated the water had to be grounded through the ladder to the bonding system. Is it true that the water has to have some contact with the bonding? Sounds fishy to me.

Yes, per the NEC the pool water must be electrically bonded with a minimum of 9 square inches of conductive material in contact with the water 24/7. If the pool was designed such that the only water bonding was a removable ladder, that's a poor design IMO.

How is this commonly accomplished? Pools with fixed ladders that touch the water are not very common around here. The only conductive material I can think of in my entire prior pool installation was the metal ring around the pool light.

Grounding and Bonding are entirely different things. Although technically, they kind of are grounded....the bonding lug on the pool pump for example, the bond and the ground
are certainly together in the sense they have a connection on the housing. In two different places for each. But nonetheless continuity between them.

But yes, it is true the water needs bonding.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Grounding and Bonding are entirely different things.

But yes, it is true the water needs bonding.
For safety, the water, surrounding deck, metal ladders have to be at the same potential. It is considered to be bad practice to drive a ground rod at a pool bonding grid.

It does not matter if the bonding potential is even several volts above a true ground as long as you, the water and the same potential, the net voltage and current going through will always be zero.

The 2017 NEC Mike Holt code explanation book has as the website's sample PDF section the code for pools, spas and inside tubs. Google it if you are more interested in this.

Reactions: borjis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.