DIY Pool Project

n8scstm said:
simicrintz said:
The next time your plumber comes back, introduce him to clear glue :oops:

I know equipment pads aren't real pretty to look at, but that guy spreads primer and glue like Charlie Brown works a pen! I always have the guys use clear glue above grade as it makes a cleaner looking installation. Maybe if you mention it to him now he can start using it in the future, and it will make his work look that much cleaner!

Good luck on the gunite! That will be a major change in appearance! :party: :whoot:

LOL. Yeah I know. I'm sloppy with it too! I plan on painting it anyways so I wasn't too worried.

Are they making you paint it? I know they do up in L.A. but it hasn't come down this way yet.

n8scstm said:
Is there any difference between pool tile and the stuff they sell at Home Depot?

Yes!!!!! Pool tile is made to handle chlorine and acid. Home Depot tile is made to handle ????

Always ask if any tile you are considering is "pool water compatible". And then make sure it really is (don't ask me how I know, or how big the party was that brought it to my attention!) before you install it. Don't get sold something 'cuz somebody don't know or is trying to make a sale.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
n8scstm said:
Is there any difference between pool tile and the stuff they sell at Home Depot?

In addition to acid resistance as Bruce stated the body of a swimming pool tile is designed to absorb much less moisture so it doesn't fall apart in freezing conditions. ie frost proof, acid resistant are the key words.

I'm not real happy seeing that single pour cantilever deck/coping (and locked against a retaining wall to boot!)! Why didn't they pour the coping first, install an expansion joint (foam) and then pour the deck? You will have a crack one day about 12 inches back from the water, as the pool and the deck will expand/contract at two different rates......... When will these concrete guys learn??!

Sorry, I just hate seeing this kind of stuff. The deck guys will be long gone and you will be left to look at the cracks. Makes me angry.

He normally doesnt do them for that reason. But he said when it's such a small deck, it wont be nearly as much of an issue, it's only three feet. He made sure to put several inches of base down and compact. We also made sure that the dirt was thoroughly saturated for expansion.

Sorry about the pic quality, I'll get some better ones this weekend.

Attachments

• Copy of IMAG0042.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0042.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Copy of IMAG0043.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0043.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Copy of IMAG0046.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0046.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 92
n8scstm said:
He normally doesnt do them for that reason. But he said when it's such a small deck, it wont be nearly as much of an issue, it's only three feet. He made sure to put several inches of base down and compact. We also made sure that the dirt was thoroughly saturated for expansion.

Ask him if he would have done the same on his pool :twisted: That is just plain lazy, and he will be long gone when you start having cracks :twisted: :twisted:

Funny how stuff isn't that important when it isn't your own. And we wonder why the pool industry has the bad rep that it does. These are exactly the kind of guys I wish would really feel the effects of this recession and just go away! Ain't even my pool and it makes my blood boil!

Last comment on this and I have to let it go: Tell him he needs to saw cut the area for you so that when (not if) it cracks at least you have a fighting chance of controlling the crack. Trust me, it's the least he can do!

Being that the single pour was my specific request, I guess I'm gonna have to learn the hard way on this one. I like the look for now anyways if that counts for anything. Plus who knows, with my plumbing job, I may have to rip it all out long before it has a chance to crack ;-) Let's hope not though.

VOLLEYBALL NET ROPE ANCHOR THING

I forgot to have this put in when they did the shotcrete. Can I chissel out some of the shotcrete and epoxy, or cement this in so they can plaster around it? What should I use?

Attachments

• 726638-1_9.jpg
    726638-1_9.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 55

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.