DIY Pool Project

Hey...tell me about your fire pit. It looks like it probably runs on propane. My new house really doesn't have the space for a wood fire and I was thinking about a propane fire pit similar to yours.

How much did it cost and how long does a propane tank last. Do you like it?

BTW, the project looks great!

Beez said:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but were you able to meet the original budget you set for the project?

I will be somewhere around 30k but I added some extras and included some stuff that isnt exactly part of the pool such as the patio heaters, fire pit, fence, and grass.

svenpup said:
Hey...tell me about your fire pit. It looks like it probably runs on propane. My new house really doesn't have the space for a wood fire and I was thinking about a propane fire pit similar to yours.

It's natural gas. I tunneled under the concrete and ran a 2" gass line. 3/4" riser, 3/4" full port ball valve, to a 24" double ring. Had to plug some of the holes in bar that connects the two rings to get a nice burn when it's turned down. It will still put up a 3 to 4 foot flame if I want it to though. It was constructed with 4' diameter curved block. Three courses, 8" high each. I then had it capped with the same concrete as the pool and am finishing the block with the same stone veneer as the pool. Once the gas line was built, it probably cost me around $400. And I've been so busy I havnt had many opportunities to enjoy it but it's great and I'm sure I will love it.

svenpup said:

Propane fire pits (like the one in the picture) are illegal. Propane is heavier than air and "sinks". If you turn on a propane fire pit and forget about it, then come back to light it, you will have a bomb, as the pit will be full of propane that has built up on itself. Natural gas is lighter than air and rises, so the danger is much less.

I'm not the "fire pit police", and am not trying to tell you what to do, but I would not want to see anyone get hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bk406 said:
simicrintz said:
Propane fire pits (like the one in the picture) are illegal.

Where are they illegal? You can buy propane firepits anywhere.

More important than illegal, they are VERY DANGEROUS. Instead of floating up and away (like natural gas) propane will collect as close to the ground as it can get. In a pit of that design, it would collect in an invisible pool inside that pit. Go to light it, and WHOOSH! at best no eyebrows, at worst some serious burns or even death.

bk406 said:
No dispute with the danger part, I just dont see where they are illegal.

The portable ones that you are referring to are legal, as they have vents at the bottom or openings to allow the gas to escape. The question was posted as to a built in one like the picture, and those are illegal (probably everywhere!). I would just hate to not say anything and then hear that someone got hurt (or worse).

n8scstm said:
Purchased some slightly used (4 years or so) equipment off of Craigslist. Nice system, 1 hp filter pump, plus a 1.5 hp spa jet booster, both sta-rite. Jandy Aqualink RS with 7 high voltage relays. Jandy One-Touch indoor control panel. cleva-chlor dual cell chlorine gernerator, 400k btu RayPak Digital Heater, 2 Jandy valve actuators, large DE filter and a pool vacuum cleaner w/ hose. Cost $1,000.
You got one heck of a deal on that for 1000 bucks! Iv'e been watching craigslist here in Nevada and see some stuff but I bet the small pool guy outfits and truck slammers are grabbing it up quick (lots of forclosures here and people selling off equipment to raise cash for their move) so I havn't seen anything that great yet.

Kudos to the project. I hope mine DIY looks as good as yours when its done. I love the way you fit it into your property so elegantly. If possible let me know what type of ledge stone on the raised bond beam and type of tile on the waterline did you use. Congratulations! Perhaps a synopsis on your feelings on the project as a whole is in order. Would you do it again if you had to ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.