DIY Pool automation

arielpool

Sep 19, 2018
Las Vegas / NV
Hi fellow pool owners!

Sharing here the raspipool project -

More info: raspipool

Intro

The automation for a swimming-pool is something reserved to top-of-the-range systems. Here you can find a cost-effective, simple but powerful automation-system that you can build by yourself with a little time and effort.

Not only home things can be automated. Indeed, a swimming-pool is something where automation reports incomparable benefits in time, money and ecology.

The main objective is to build a super-modular system that allows controlling the peripherals as simple (and cheap) as possible, transferring all intelligence to a raspberry pi controling all what happens in the pool.

We often see lots of equipment that is responsible for two or more tasks, more or less autonomously (saline chlorinators that control pH, intellegent pumps that control filtering and other equipment, smart peristaltic pumps with time control or probe connection, etc.). This equipment only partial resolve main automation tasks and dont allow any type of expansion or improvement. This project propose that the peripheral be as stupid (and cheap) as possible, dedicating himself ONLY to his main task. A pump: only filter when told, a saline chlorinator: create chlorine when told, a peristaltic pump, inject when told,...

There are also very modular (and usually quite expensive) professional systems that share this same perspective, but they often have the problem of forcing all components of the same brand to be purchased. If you have already made a strong investment in equipment of this type, this project is probably not for you.

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
Its funny, there seem to be two types of DIY pool systems out there. Segalion and Joncar built primarily monitoring systems (also with a focus on chemical dosing), and CMC0619 and me have built systems to primarily control pool functions. Eventually you will see each type of system take ideas from the other, but it is interesting to see how they all start.

arielpool

Sep 19, 2018
Las Vegas / NV
Reference to the aforementioned -

arielpool

Sep 19, 2018
Las Vegas / NV
Is there a place where all these system solutions are showcased together in order to make sense of where we are on it all?

Its funny, there seem to be two types of DIY pool systems out there. Segalion and Joncar built primarily monitoring systems (also with a focus on chemical dosing), and CMC0619 and me have built systems to primarily control pool functions. Eventually you will see each type of system take ideas from the other, but it is interesting to see how they all start.

cmc0619

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2018
Cherry Hill, NJ
Would be interesting to see a 1, 2, 3 sort of post. Like an automation for dummies kind of thing.
The problem is it varies too much. Some people need a load center included with(like me). Some people just need a Sonos switch on their pump. But between all of our different builds (And the rest of the intenet) you should be able to find something that suits you.

My build isn’t for everyone but I made a couple of YouTubes that gives you a good idea of what to do. Click DIY automation system in my signature for the links.

It’s easier than it looks though. Despite being a computer guy I’m not an electrical guy. I went from “uhhh electricity makes lights turn on” to being able to wire up a 240v switch.

arielpool

Sep 19, 2018
Las Vegas / NV
“uhhh electricity makes lights turn on”
lol

I'm currently reading through your setup.

My ideal would be

1) Control the Variable Speed pump (I've got the cables that came with that new pump)
2) Lights on/off, at the moment
3) SWG (future buy) control

So far I've found this:

- Replace Your Pool and Spa Controller With Raspberry Pi, Arduino, Node Red
- Raspberry PI Swimming Pool Controller - poolBot | Drew . Beer
- akulo/pentair-pool-controller
- tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController
- CMC's build: My new automation system.
- Katodude's build: Yet another DIY pool controller thread
- Segalion's build (wiki): segalion/raspipool

Last edited:

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
CMC’s build is a very good place to start. Read through his thread. He even has a BOM posted there so it is a pretty good starting point. Feel free to read through mine (in my signature). It is a pretty good copy of CMC’s. You have an intelliflo VS there is some pretty good controller software to run that. Lights are easy, and depends on what you want for your SWG thats not too hard.

It does not require coding ability to build one (but that does help). But you do have to be a little bit computer savvy, for lack of a better word. There is a little bit of work in setting up the Pi and then some integration style work.

Katodude

Silver Supporter
Aug 22, 2017
West Palm Beach/Florida
Pffft. This will be a breeze for you then. We will probably learn something from you. I did not have to do any soldering on mine. But I do have lots of relays. The good news is if you just want to control your pump you wont need a single relay. Making everything else go is relay heaven. But they are cheap, plentiful and easy to use.

You will need to use this to control your pump so start reading!!!

Ask lots of questions, document what you do here in your own build thread.

Reactions: cmc0619

cmc0619

Gold Supporter
May 2, 2018
Cherry Hill, NJ
lol

I'm currently reading through your setup.

My ideal would be

1) Control the Variable Speed pump (I've got the cables that came with that new pump)
2) Lights on/off, at the moment
3) SWG (future buy) control
Yeah that’s a piece of cake. I’m not familiar with your pool cleaner but on my dolphin I was able to hold a button and put it into automation mode. So I leave it in the pool and run it on a schedule from my controller. That may be one for your project as well. I was inspired by Drew’s project and also this one.