Diverter Replacement Project

The original pipes are painted, matching my pentair sand filter and pump. Just out of curiosity, is this any special kind of paint? Perhaps made for pvc.. or UV protection? I wouldn't mind making everything match again once I get all the piece put together.

I tried the reciprocating saw on cutting the existing pipe today.... yeah too much vibration for me to do. I easily cut it with a hacksaw so I'll be just using that going forward. I just need to figure out how to get a straighter cut

I hit a snag. Tried to do a union to help put two pieces together and I'm short on off the side a bit. Any easy fixes before I try cutting lower on this pipe and add another coupling. Even then, I'm bit unsure of how I'll actually get them cut just right :-/

PVC usually has a little give, but not sure you can make that up. I haven’t seen grey PVC fittings before. Is that PVC the same schedule as the other material? My guess is you will have to redo that leg with a coupling as you mentioned. Be sure to dry fit before priming and gluing.

This is my favorite saw for doing PVC work. Straight cuts are tricky. Using painters tape is a cheap guide. If cutting by hand, stop and check progress once or 2x.

If Im not cutting out existing pipes, I use my mitre saw to cut PVC. It’s straight and clean. Just needs some burrs knocked off. Heck , even an old school mitre box would work. I use them sometimes doing trim in a house. They work great for a couple of small cuts vs dragging out a massive 12” compound dual sliding, yada....

c0746c58a7823e2ade1ec73666444820.jpg

Miter box
e8069597dbb77595432a770a5f530ee9.jpg

18x36 vinyl liner , Hayward Sand Filter, Maxflo VS pump, Hayward VS Omni automation, Rheem 115k Heat pump, Colorlogic LED. Dolphin 400 robot. Build date: Spring 2018.

Thanks, the grey coupling is schedule 80 per the Lowe's description. I couldn't find a regular 2.5" coupling anywhere so I chose that. I ended up plumbing the rest, connect the Intellichlor flow to the valve. Since the cleaning system side was complete, I just shut off the valve to the water feature (the bad connection). So now my pool is running again after taking over 2 weeks off. I think I'm just going to pay the neighborhood guy to quickly fix that water feature pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.