Dissecting My Pool Quote(s)

The vinyl guy that was here tonight had us quoted at $76k, which just isn't acceptable for vinyl considering we're under $60k from the local guy albeit we would have to wait until '22.

How typical is it for these things to go over the quote? Seems like it would be pretty easy for the builder to stick it to me over random little things. How hard is it to quote a fully functioning, finished pool? The fiberglass guy seems honest and I've liked him the most, but the way they quote leaves a lot to the imagination and his price is busting our budget a bit. Anything over that and it would cause issues as we just wouldn't have the budget for it. I did think that much money paid before anything was functioning seemed out of line. Now that it appears fiberglass would be our best option for this coming year I can push for more details.

The FG quote does have a sump line w/o pump listed. Is the pump typically permanently installed and turns itself on like one would expect from the sump in their house? Or is it something you monitor and drop a pump in on occasion to pump it down?

As for electrical I should be able to cover this myself. Couple electricians in the family and our panel is right on the corner of the house where the equipment would go. Should be a pretty easy run up to the pad and I believe I have enough room in the current box to fit the need.

For a FG install, there really shouldn't be much that comes up above the quote, unless you specially are looking to change or add something. You need a shell, installation, pump, filter, heater, etc. to get it all working. As long as you have a detailed quote and explanations from the PB this is all included for a finished product, you may not "need" anything else.

I look at it this way. Without this site, and the knowledge we get from it, and then share, most pool builders are probably quoting a standard package, and installing a fine pool that most of the public would enjoy. When people come here to learn about things, we find we want more skimmers, returns, automation, etc., which may not be part of the standard package. Without the things we added, you would still have a nice, functioning pool, that you will enjoy.

Though with that quote, the biggest issue for me would be the front loaded payments as JoyFullNoise mentioned. Let's not hope for anything crazy on the builders part, but that is an awful lot of money to the builder and you have almost zero leverage if anything comes up.

Is the pump typically permanently installed and turns itself on like one would expect from the sump in their house? Or is it something you monitor and drop a pump in on occasion to pump it down?

I have seen it done both ways. Mine is in the pit, and wired up, just like a house would be. When the water raises, the float goes up, and the pump discharges the water. I have it all hard plumbed in. My neighbors pool for example, he drops his pump in the pit when he needs to get the water out.

This is one example of something I wanted that was above my quote. I like having the pump in place like a home, and the plumbing and electrical were extra, but I was willing to pay for that. I still have to check it once in a while like I would my house, but like that its in place.

A typical unexpected cost would come during excavation. The assumption is that the excavator will be digging up virgin soil with minimal hard materials. If the excavator hits lots of rocks or boulders or, rarely, bedrock, then the haul away costs can jump up a lot. Each builder’s contract deals with this in different ways but they typically specify a limit on the amount of material they will haul and exclusions if they hit bedrock or large boulders.

The more specific your contract is and the more restraint you exercise on change-requests, the closer your final total will be to the quoted amount.

I asked the fiberglass builder to use gravel instead of pea/sand as shown on the quote and this was the response...

"Gravel is not good for backfill. Its too jagged to be against the pool, and it also has to be compacted. Pea stone is by far the best option. Some people do call pea stone pea gravel. Pea stone i all we use underneath the pool, and on the sides, until we pass the plumbing at a minimum. Then we use sand and compact for concrete base."

They have been in business for 20+ years and I generally have really liked them up until that response. Time to walk away? The tone made it seem like they are totally against gravel.

Any thoughts? I would love to lock in the deal before prices jump at the end of this month. This is also our only realistic fiberglass installer and waiting for vinyl would be at least a year and a half away.

I've requested backfill and installation requirements from the pool builder and hopefully they can respond with that today.

I asked the fiberglass builder to use gravel instead of pea/sand as shown on the quote and this was the response...

"Gravel is not good for backfill. Its too jagged to be against the pool, and it also has to be compacted. Pea stone is by far the best option. Some people do call pea stone pea gravel. Pea stone i all we use underneath the pool, and on the sides, until we pass the plumbing at a minimum. Then we use sand and compact for concrete base."

They have been in business for 20+ years and I generally have really liked them up until that response. Time to walk away? The tone made it seem like they are totally against gravel.

@jimmythegreek what do you think about the builders gravel comments?

Read Gravel Around Pools - Further Reading

I would try and reach out to Leading Edge Pools and get a copy of their installation guide as well as their warranty guide. (866) 925-9834

Not the same manufacturer, but for example, Latham Pools specifically calls out "1/2 clean gravel, or sand" as acceptable for their installations, and if you follow their guides, you get the warranty. But lets say someone, not an authorized Latham installer put mine in and used the dirt from the excavation for the base and backfill, then I would probably have a wonky pool, and defiantly have no warranty.

I would wait to see what @jimmythegreek thinks as far as materials go, but if you can talk with the pool manufacturer first, you would get an idea if the PB is doing his own thing, or is following the instructions of the manufacturer. I would also ask them for a list of "authorized" installers. I would be hesitant if the builder was not an "authorized" installer, even being in the business for 20 years.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Interestingly enough Leading Edge says they use pea stone when installing them through their sister company.

I also see you have a 14x30 pool, which is nearly identical in size to what we plan to get. With two young girls who would grow up with this, do you think it is big enough for our family?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the FG installer give you any specific details on their warranty and what they cover in terms of installation and workmanship?

The builder gives a two year warranty on workmanship.

😳

That seems a bit .... low. I don’t know what the FG industry standard is but gunite pool builders offer longer terms. My plaster installer was 5 years “no questions asked” and then 10 years for any major defects. My gunite shell is warrantied for 30 years through my PB’s contractor license insurance ... but then again, cracks in gunite shells are very rare.

I’m sure the FG builder doesn’t want to waste lots of his time answering build questions on a job he may not get, but I’d want a lot more reassurances that an out-of-level pool or other issues would get fixed.

I also see you have a 14x30 pool, which is nearly identical in size to what we plan to get. With two young girls who would grow up with this, do you think it is big enough for our family?

I would say, the short answer, in my opinion, is yes.

The longer answer is, still yes, but you can't be wrong either with something bigger. In my particular case, I didn't have a lot of options on size because of my situation. My lot is not "normal", the house is on an angle from the property lines, I have setback issues, etc., etc., etc. We wanted a rectangle pool with an auto cover, and a 14x30 fit just right. Like, fit within a foot fitting. Would I have gone bigger if I could?, most definitely yes. We wanted a 16 x 36, and settled in on the size that fit our space and wants, which is the 14 x 30. Am I ****** I couldn't go bigger? Not really. We have three kids, 9, 13, 18, and even with the slide, for the five of us, it is great. I can see this pool being great for years as the kids get older, but for us 14 x 30 doesn't feel small at all. Would it be tight with big parties? Maybe, but don't think people wont come or complain because our pool is too small. The size for your family and another family may be different, you see that for sure around here. But as an owner of a 14 x 30 pool, I think is just fine for mine.

The PB is correct large gravel is not to be used against a fiberglass shell. Gravel is a loose term here, theres are MANY grades of stone. Pea or similar is the proper base and backfill material even down to turkey grit gravel is fine for the base as this area can amd will be mechanically compacted. The sides need angular like 1/4" up to 3/8 max amd some even use course sand and grit mixes. All fine to use. When we talk about clean stone or #57 gravel etc we imply we are backfilling against a steel wall or concrete pool not fiberglass

Great, thank you all for the help. We're almost positive we're going to have the fiberglass pool installed this summer and we've had the builder hold our spot in line. He'll be coming out sometime this week to finalize all the details and get the deposit for the shell. The pool is a little over 14k gallons and he has quoted the 25k AquaRite system. My thought is to request the 40k gallon system. That's about the only thing really jumping out as possibly wanting to upgrade. The heat pump is quoted as the 140k btu model, which seems to be the largest in the HeatPro line, so if we stick with a heat pump that would seem to be the one to go with.

Ok, so the PB quoted the Super Pump VS 700 Omni with a OmniHub daughter board and the AquaRite 25k gallon SWG. I'm new to this, so forgive me if I'm off, but it sounds like he has quoted the automation in the pump, interfacing into the SWG with the daughter board. If I change to the AquaPlus system I'm bringing automation through the SWG? It seems that changing to AquaPlus would then require a pump change, guessing the standard Super Pump VS700 would be ok?

Any advantages switching this setup? Guessing the automation through AquaPlus bring more capability than what the pump can offer?

Being able to control the system from my phone is desired. The ability to control it when away from home would be a big bonus. I'm expecting to be able to control the deck jets through the app on my phone, but I don't see any automated valves quoted, just standard Jandy. I'll have to ask about that during our meeting.

Last edited:
Most people ask me for mobile access on their build. They use it at first and I also add a remote display to the prologic in the house by pool door. By the first season they tell me what a waste the mobile is. I dont even use it at my own pool anymore. Theres nothing you rly need to do mobile. Once you set up the automation panel it takes care of itself. Water features amd lights are a push button deal. If ita important to use your phone while at the pool to do this instead of a remote display or wireless remote than go for it. Adding a compatible pump like a tristar VS would let it all talk together and is a solid setup

I guess I'm still confused between what he quoted and what you are suggesting. Should I expect what you have suggested to be cheaper than the Omni system he spec'd? I'm fine with a system specific remote and being able to control it while not at home would be nice, if that adds significant cost then it isn't that important.

The PB spec'd an Omni VS 700 pump (I assume this is where the automation is), with a daughterboard to a 25k gallon swg.

It seems like you're suggesting an AquaPlus automation center with a 40k gallon swg, then a Tristar VS pump to complete the system.

Both seem like a complete automated system. Pro's and con's of each? Which should cost more? I don't really want to blindly request the AquaPlus system without know why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.