KWingate

Oct 25, 2021
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm new to the pool game. Just recently bought this house in October which came with a salt system pool. I have had to replace the pump, Pentair variable speed, and replaced the multiport valve this past Tuesday. I have had an issue with dirt being in the pool and thought it was due to my neighbor constantly cutting his dirt!!! picking up leaves haha. I vacuumed this morning and there is already dirt back in the bottom of the pool. i thought the valve would fix this...................any suggestions? as far as I know, I think I am vacuuming right!!!!!

You may have damaged /cracked laterals in your sand filter or the mpv was installed incorrectly (the oring or gasket can be pinched)
Also have u ever deep cleaned or replaced the sand?
Here’s a good write up on that with pics of the inner workings so u can investigate/inspect.👇

You may have damaged /cracked laterals in your sand filter or the mpv was installed incorrectly (the oring or gasket can be pinched)
Also have u ever deep cleaned or replaced the sand?
Here’s a good write up on that with pics of the inner workings so u can investigate/inspect.👇
ok thank you

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Once you get the kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here. It is likely you will need to follow the SLAM Process.

Reactions: Mdragger88
KW,

Welcome to TFP! Please seeABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and read through Pool School as you have time. We do things a lot different here because we are science based and our methods are used by hundreds of thousands now. We sell nothing so we're not conflicted with our advice. We are skeptical of pool store tests because we see so many new people here that have bad results after spending a LOT of $ with no improvement in their pools. New pool owners often think pool store results must be better than their own tests at home. This just is not correct. There are two test kits you can buy at many different outlets and have extremely reliable test results. More information on these kits can be found hereTest Kits Compared. Our experts and experienced pool owners are completely volunteer but they need reliable information based on proven test results to provide you with good advice. Please consider getting one and providing the results. I got my kit over 7 years ago and it still works great. I get refills about every other year and net cost to operate my pool dramatically reduced. Plus advice I got here enabled me to DIY many repairs and upgrades at savings of thousands.

I hope this helps explain the need for your own test results instead of pool store results and I hope this is helpful.

Chris

To add to the suggestions above-
Another important reason to have your own reliable test kit is so you can test & adjust often. (Daily for some tests, weekly & monthly for others) Which is needed to properly maintain sanitary water conditions at all times thus preventing issues before they start. When you rely on an outside source for this it’s often impractical to test as often as necessary. Once a month is definitely not enough.

Reactions: setsailsoon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
KW,

The only other thing that I've seen similar to what you describe is pollen. You can run the oclt described in the video already posted to confirm but you really need a test kit to do this right since you need an accurate FC test at night near sunset and first thing in morning. The cheapo oto drop test has some places were it's useful but NOT for accurate FC. Another reason I suspect pollen or something else is the cold temps. Not sure what yours is running but down here in FL we are close or below 60 at night. Algae doesn't grow well as you approach 60 deg F. One of the best things about TFP methods is you don't have to guess. Our methods are simple and science based. You run the test, get the results and then you know. You then treat with only what's needed and it's almost always a chemical you can get at super-cheap at a big box store. No expensive pool store potions needed and you always know exactly what you're putting in your pool. If you like this approach get your test kit asap anywhere you want to buy it. The methods are documented well here and if you have any need for help we have tons of it here all free from unbiased real experts not the " at the counter" at the pool store that has a lot of expensive chemicals to add... now before I come across as a pool store hater let me hasten to add they are an important resource to pool owners at times. I really like the one I go to for urgent needed parts etc. They also have one person that's really good. He calibrates tests and uses clean reagents and fully understands why I buy bulk liquid chlorine (I think he's a closet TFPer). But they also have a bunch of normal pool store idiots. Problem is you don't really know which one you're dealing with 'till it's too late.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

KW,

The only other thing that I've seen similar to what you describe is pollen. You can run the oclt described in the video already posted to confirm but you really need a test kit to do this right since you need an accurate FC test at night near sunset and first thing in morning. The cheapo oto drop test has some places were it's useful but NOT for accurate FC. Another reason I suspect pollen or something else is the cold temps. Not sure what yours is running but down here in FL we are close or below 60 at night. Algae doesn't grow well as you approach 60 deg F. One of the best things about TFP methods is you don't have to guess. Our methods are simple and science based. You run the test, get the results and then you know. You then treat with only what's needed and it's almost always a chemical you can get at super-cheap at a big box store. No expensive pool store potions needed and you always know exactly what you're putting in your pool. If you like this approach get your test kit asap anywhere you want to buy it. The methods are documented well here and if you have any need for help we have tons of it here all free from unbiased real experts not the " at the counter" at the pool store that has a lot of expensive chemicals to add... now before I come across as a pool store hater let me hasten to add they are an important resource to pool owners at times. I really like the one I go to for urgent needed parts etc. They also have one person that's really good. He calibrates tests and uses clean reagents and fully understands why I buy bulk liquid chlorine (I think he's a closet TFPer). But they also have a bunch of normal pool store idiots. Problem is you don't really know which one you're dealing with 'till it's too late.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris
definately helps alot, i would much rather do it the RIGHT way, especially being a rookie......
KW,

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: Mdragger88
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Once you get the kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here. It is likely you will need to follow the SLAM Process.
Will this test kit work for me?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-23 5.56.49 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-23 5.56.49 PM.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 12
No - this doesn’t contain the fas/dpd test for chlorine
you want the Taylor k2006c
or the tf100/tfpro @tftestkits.net

Tf testkits is in North Carolina so you should receive anything u order from them quickly. Their Taylor regeants are also always guaranteed fresh & stored properly- that isn’t always the case w/amazon sellers.
Also you will need the k1766 salt kit as relying solely on your swg’s read out isn’t advised. You can buy this separately(for around $30) or as part of one of the kits mentioned above- just add the word salt to the end of your search.

Tf testkits is in North Carolina so you should receive anything u order from them quickly. Their Taylor regeants are also always guaranteed fresh & stored properly- that isn’t always the case w/amazon sellers.
Also you will need the k1766 salt kit as relying solely on your swg’s read out isn’t advised. You can buy this separately(for around $30) or as part of one of the kits mentioned above- just add the word salt to the end of your search.
ok thank you, im trying to learn

Hey K and Welcome !!!!
im trying to learn
yoda-there-no-try1.gif

You *are* doing. And doing great. I mostly exist here as living proof that any ole doofus can learn. #Normalizebeinganidiot. :ROFLMAO:

Get yourself a trusted kit. Hit up the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry read, process and read again. Fire off any questions and real world folks who've been in your shoes will be over the moon happy to show you the way.

The only other thing that I've seen similar to what you describe is pollen. You can run the oclt described in the video already posted to confirm but you really need a test kit to do this right since you need an accurate FC test at night near sunset and first thing in morning. The cheapo oto drop test has some places were it's useful but NOT for accurate FC. Another reason I suspect pollen or something else is the cold temps. Not sure what yours is running but down here in FL we are close or below 60 at night. Algae doesn't grow well as you approach 60 deg F.
I am so glad you said this. I notice the same issue periodically. When brushing I can small plumes of brown and only on the horizontal surfaces not the walls. We are under trees and didn't know if it was a phosphate issue that this program ignores. Our water has been crystal clear since starting this program but the (pollen) was throwing me off. I even went back to tabs after dialing in the chlorinator and CYA has been in check. Great program but that (pollen) was driving me nuts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.