Dirt coming through the returns

May 26, 2013
Hello all, I've had an issue all season with dirt coming back in though my returns. It's actually too heavy for my vacuum to pick up so I have to brush it into one spot and then scoop it with a bucket. It's not an insane amount of dirt, but over the course of a week or so it adds up. It only comes when I run the filter. Seems like it's coming out of both returns. I'm not losing a lot of water in the pool although I may be losing some more than is normal. I've had to use a hose to add water once this season, but it was after a very hot sunny two weeks and lots of use. Anyway, I don't see any air in the pump, but when I turn it off it does slowly get air in it. Does it seem like the dirt would be coming from a broken pipe or a filter issue? I have someone coming tomorrow to look at it, but I'd like to have an idea of what it could be first.

Any thought?

I have a sand filter that I changed the sand on 4 or 5 years ago. The water is clear. Everything else seems to be running normal. TIA

Thanks

Jon

If you do not get air in the pump basket when running then it most likely is not a suction side air leak.

Do you have a full set of test results you can post up?

You are calling it dirt, but have you been able to grab any of that stuff you are seeing? Is it gritty like sand? If sand, then you can expect something happened in the filter with a lateral or center pipe. If it's not gritty, then water chemistry may be an issue which is why Marty mentioned the water test results.

Thanks guys. Yes, I have been able to touch it and it looks and feels like dirt With minuscule pebbles in it. I scoop it with a plastic cup and the dump it out. I’m not sure what the sand in the filter looks like though. I don’t recall when I put it in but it looks nothing like beach sand.

I’m not sure what the sand in the filter looks like though. I don’t recall when I put it in but it looks nothing like beach sand.
I don't see your location listed at your profile name so I don't know if you will be closing soon. But if you do close for the winter, that would be an ideal time when you drain the filter to deep clean and save the sand or replace it if needed and also inspect the laterals and center standpipe. If you're in a warmer climate, you might still find a good time to do those things just to make sure.
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.