Sand / dirt returning to pool only when pump is on

Good morning! :wave: Some possibilities related to your situation:
- Something wrong with the laterals or center pipe in the filter. Have you tried bypassing the filter on Recirculate as a test?
- Water chemistry. Are you sure it's not algae? According to your Poolmath logs, your FC has been low quite a few times. When a filter gets overwhelmed with algae, it can blow right back into the pool.
- Is it sand or dirt? Or something else? Can you capture any of it to see how it feels?
- How old is your filter and MPV? Have you ever opened the MPV to inspect the spider gasket/key assembly inside?
- Did you ever do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after opening for this season?

Let's start there and see what we can do for your situation.

Hello 👋 We opened sand filter. Changed out the sand. I know it’s said this is not needed, but I think they had wrong kind it there. It was bigger grain. 🤷‍♀️ idk. I don’t trust previous owners 🤣 We cleaned it all out. We inspected lateral assembly completely. Everything looked good. It is most definitely sand in the pool. It’s not algae. I did OCLT last year trying to figure out this problem and that’s not it. Also, I know I’ve been lazy on keeping FC level up. I’ll do better. Idk how old anything is. I ordered a new Hayward SPX0714CA Key, Seal Assembly Replacement. I figured it’s gonna be easier to replace the whole thing vs the spider gasket based on what others say about trying to get old one off and new one sealed. I have tried recirculating and still get sand. 🙄 That was before we opened it up and cleaned and changed sand tho. At this point, I’m praying the key seal assembly is the issue. I’ve been putting up with sand in the bottom of my pool since our first season last year.
I was wondering if my pump is too powerful on the higher setting. According to S166T manual, it says “DESIGN FLOW RATE: 35 GPM, MAXIMUM WORKING PRESSURE: 50 PSI” Now, my 2 speed pump is Blue Torrent. It’s really hard to say exactly what model # because there are several model numbers and I can’t find a Blue Torrent pump w any of them. 🙄🤷‍♀️ I’ll try posting pics. From what I can piece together tho, I think it’s this: Blue Torrent® Hurricane Dual Port Energy Efficient 2 Speed Pool Pump

Maxi Force 1.5 HP, Two Speed Energy Efficient For Above Ground Swimming Pools Pump With 1 Year Warranty

So, I thought running pump on low speed would solve the sand issue but it doesn’t. Do I need a slower pump? I tried to figure it out
Pool Pump Sizing
And come up with we need a pump
  • 13.89-35 GPM or Flow Rate Range
  • 45 GPM MAX for 1.5” pipe
  • 30 TDH or Feet of Head
The water level in the pump basket lowers so I have to check that everyday. I put a new o ring on the lid and used magic lube on it. I checked all the drain plugs and put magic lube on those. I have since ordered a new lid w o ring and am waiting for that to come in. I thought maybe there is a crack in it I can’t see ir something? Idk. There is no leaking in any of the pvc piping, the skimmer… and when I was trying to find supply side leak, when I would run water over the pump lid, the bubbles that came from the inlet stopped. So that is mainly why I have lingering suspicions about that lid. Hopefully the new lid fixes that.
But, if my pump is still too fast for my sand filter and I need a different one, I just bought a new lid for nothing. 🤨
Idk. There are many things to consider and limited funds rn 😔 I’m really hoping I don’t have to replace the sand filter, the multiport or the pump.

Not understanding, if you're using recirculate then it's bypassing the filter media which in your case is sand and there shouldn't be a possibility for sand to come from the filter. Are you sure the in/out of the filter plumbing wasn't crossed or perhaps you have lots of residual sand in the pipes. It can also be the spider gasket on the mpv which isn't closing properly or possibly the sand was overfilled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.