May 23, 2021
LargoFL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Happy Spring TFP Family!
I've been having trouble keeping my FC levels stable since we uncovered the pool last month. My CYA was on the 'lower'end (30), but I was scared of it getting TOO high. (Been there, done that 🙄). After a lot of ruminating and FC still dipping, I decided to try to increase CYA by just 10ppm. I consulted Effects of Adding Chemicals and my pool profile, added CYA w/ the sock method. CYA has raised to 60 😨. This morning water was slightly cloudy, had a light ring of green in the skimmer wall. I immediately started SLAMMING., brushing & vacuuming. But now I'm worried is my CYA too high? Is the water in chlorine lock? My profile test logs should be visible. *My schedule for testing, etc has not been regular because my daughter just had our 2nd grandchild, it's been a hectic few weeks!
FC 3 (first reading this am)
pH 8
ALK 160
CYA 60

Attachments

• IMG_20220410_171745.jpg
    IMG_20220410_171745.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 19
CYA is not too high. Odd you added 10 ppm worth to a 30 ppm CYA and got 60 -- might want to check your volumes, etc.

Raise your FC to 24 ppm. Scrub the pool, especially the areas that had visible algae. Should go quick.

Remember, you have to add liquid chlorine EVERY DAY, if that is an issue, starting considering a SWCG.

Reactions: Geminisq
Gem,

If your CYA was at 30 and you wanted to increase by 10 ppm, you only needed to add 8 oz of dry stabilizer.

To go from 30 to 60 you would have needed to add 24 oz of dry stabilizer.

Tell us what you added to get from 30 to 60?

It could be you just have a test error and your CYA is not 60 ppm.

That said, you say your current FC is at 3, which is below our recommended level for a CYA of 30 of 4 to 6 ppm of FC.

Nothing we do here is magic. If you keep your FC at the target level for your CYA, you will never get algae.

Thanks,

Jim R.

CYA is not too high. Odd you added 10 ppm worth to a 30 ppm CYA and got 60 -- might want to check your volumes, etc.

Raise your FC to 24 ppm. Scrub the pool, especially the areas that had visible algae. Should go quick.

Remember, you have to add liquid chlorine EVERY DAY, if that is an issue, starting considering a SWCG.
Got it, will proceed with recommendations. A huge oak tree was removed from the west side of the pool that previously blocked all sun from the pool from 3:30pm on. Do you think that has made a difference?
Thank you!

Gem,

If your CYA was at 30 and you wanted to increase by 10 ppm, you only needed to add 8 oz of dry stabilizer.

That said, you say your current FC is at 3, which is below our recommended level for a CYA of 30 of 4 to 6 ppm of FC.

Nothing we do here is magic. If you keep your FC at the target level for your CYA, you will never get algae.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Gem,

Thanks,

Jim R.
According to my log, 21 oz of CYA added on 4/4/22. I'm not great at math, but I reviewed everything a few times before I added it. Idk what I did wrong.

According to my log, 21 oz of CYA added on 4/4/22. I'm not great at math, but I reviewed everything a few times before I added it. Idk what I did wrong.
CYA test has a big tolerance for error even when it’s done right so you may not have done anything wrong specifically. Next time just sneak up on it rather than trusting the calculator. Your initial CYA level may have been higher.

Your FC levels from last month are way too low. You need to add 2-4ppm every day to keep up.

Reactions: Geminisq
CYA test has a big tolerance for error even when it’s done right so you may not have done anything wrong specifically. Next time just sneak up on it rather than trusting the calculator. Your initial CYA level may have been higher.

Your FC levels from last month are way too low. You need to add 2-4ppm every day to keep up.
You are correct. The other thing that just occured to me is the fact that there is a pair of Florida Mallards ducks that have been visiting my pool twice daily for about 6 weeks. I know they Crud on the top rails, but if they are crapping in the pool, the low FC levels I was maintaining was not enough to deal with that organic material. It looks great after 4 day slam Thanks for your input! 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_175437.jpg
    IMG_20220322_175437.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 8
You are correct. The other thing that just occured to me is the fact that there is a pair of Florida Mallards ducks that have been visiting my pool twice daily for about 6 weeks. I know they Crud on the top rails, but if they are crapping in the pool, the low FC levels I was maintaining was not enough to deal with that organic material. It looks great after 4 day slam Thanks for your input! 😊
Sorry mods I didn't know I could say crapping, but not cr*p on the forum 🤦

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.