DH grid cleaning ahh-some vs TSP

Serious1

Silver Supporter
Jul 13, 2016
NE
I have two sets of DE grids from my S7D75 sta-rite 3 filter and it's cleaning time for set that's been running all summer. I'm reading about TSP and about ahh-some. I have both on hand but seems like using ahh-some would be a better/easier choice as long as it removes oils. Pool is used by a mechanic so it's not just suntan oils/lotions in the pool.

So, TSP or will ahh-some do the trick?

I have two sets of DE grids from my S7D75 sta-rite 3 filter and it's cleaning time for set that's been running all summer. I'm reading about TSP and about ahh-some. I have both on hand but seems like using ahh-some would be a better/easier choice as long as it removes oils. Pool is used by a mechanic so it's not just suntan oils/lotions in the pool.

So, TSP or will ahh-some do the trick?
Be sure it is real TSP, not some substitute. A good pool enzyme will help mitigate that problem in the future. Works on petroleum products as well a organics.

Ahhsome is too expensive to use on cleaning filter grids and you'd have to use so much of it to make up enough of a cleaning bath that it wouldn't be sensible. TSP is cheap and effective. You could also soak them overnight in a container filled with water and automatic dishwasher detergent (plain old cascade powdered detergent, no scents or weirdness). Then just hose them down the next day.

The leave the enzymes in your gastrointestinal tract, they don't belong in a pool ;)

Ahhsome is too expensive to use on cleaning filter grids and you'd have to use so much of it to make up enough of a cleaning bath that it wouldn't be sensible. TSP is cheap and effective. You could also soak them overnight in a container filled with water and automatic dishwasher detergent (plain old cascade powdered detergent, no scents or weirdness). Then just hose them down the next day.

The leave the enzymes in your gastrointestinal tract, they don't belong in a pool ;)
Unless you're taking care of a commercial pool where an irritated tenant decided to pour his used motor oil into the largest pool (75,000 gallons) in the middle of a California drought. A couple of gallons of Natural Chemistry pool enzyme had the water cleaned in just about two weeks. Even took most of it off the tile.
If you've never needed it, you don't know the benefit. Have only ever seen it needed in 2 residential, high-use, pools. But it works.

Be sure it is real TSP, not some substitute. A good pool enzyme will help mitigate that problem in the future. Works on petroleum products as well a organics.
It is "real" TSP from the hardware store. Since a mechanic spends a lot of time in the pool I should probably look into the pool enzyme.

I ended up doing the TSP soak/rinsed really good and then used ahh-some filter cleaner soak/rinse. The TSP definitely got most of the filth out and then the ahh-some produced flaky material (dry-heave).
My filter pressure is down so I'm glad I took the time to do it. Now I'm waiting to see if it fixed the salt cell issue (reading low on 1 yr old cell).

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.