DFW New Build 7/6/21-Swimming On 8/28

Indeeph2o

Silver Supporter
Jul 18, 2020
Dallas, TX
We're back getting quotes again with the hopes & dreams of getting a pool in before summer. Looking for input on equipment, size, design. At first glance, I think we need to swap equipment to salt, add more deck-but where? Thoughts on large swim out by the "bar" ?

This builder sent design mockup with specs, and said after we make changes he'll "bid it out" and this is the 1st builder to use that term. Should that concern us?

Appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Attachments

• Pool Plan.jpg
    Pool Plan.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 294
  • Pool Design 8.jpg
    Pool Design 8.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Pool Design 11.jpg
    Pool Design 11.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 281
Glad that you are back in the midst of a new pool. The design is nice. I have a waterfall and really enjoy it.
This is my views:
Appears there is only 1 skimmer. I would get 2 at opposite ends because wind has a lot to do with where surface debris floats to even more so then the circulation within the pool. Have each skimmer independently run back to the equipment pad.

Its shows a 2hp VS Pump for pool circulation which is good
The second pump is a 1.5hp SuperFlo. I assume this is for the waterfall. Ensure you have separate circulation path for the waterfall. Mine has suction on wall (looks like bottom drain covers), directly to a pump then return to the waterfall. It will not go through the filter. Also, it is all with 2inch PVC suction and return lines. It should be controlled completely independent of the main pool/spa circulation. Ensure the PB has designed the waterfall to meet your expectations.

The 3rd pump is a booster pump to drive your pressure side Polaris 280 cleaner. I would drop this altogether and just go with a robot - need to set up a GFCI outlet within code near pool. This saves you maintenance of a pump and an old technology cleaner.

Ensure that you have control of spillover from spa to pool. Such that you can turn it on or off. Also, ensure the PB sets up the VS pump properly to provide the spillover effect to meet your expectations.

Definitely try to go to using a SWCG.

As a minimum you want 3-4ft width of decking next to the pool. You do not want people, kids, running in the grass then jumping in the pool. Also, if you feel there could be drainage issues, then have drains built in under the decking to move water away.

Your equipment pad looks to be in an isolated part of yard. Not sure what trees or shade you have but best not to have your equipment exposed to sun all day long. If there is no natural shade, consider a semi-enclosure with a roof over the pad. Also have a light on it as well.

Autofill, heater and filter are all good. Get the physical part number for the Easy Touch with Screen Logic as there is a "light" version that most will say to steer away from.

Reactions: Indeeph2o
My thoughts on the design.

1. Shape, according to my realtor free form is out of style in DFW, not sure if that even maters since you don't get your money back on pools anyways. (unless its a 7 figure home)
2. If you have little ones, that splash area is king, so look at that size
3. On the skimmer for sure get a second, my parents have 2 and one went out, life saver.
4. I actually like the item of having little deck and getting SOD if that's something you are into, in hindsight I wish we had done no concrete and just set up to have SOD in the entire backyard ... but I don't think that's an option anymore for us .

In,

Keep in mind there is a very thin line between a pile of rocks and a great looking waterfall.. Generally, unless you have the right background, it is pretty hard to make a rock waterfall look like it belongs there. I suggest that you look through some of our construction pics and it will be obvious what I am talking about.

I also like two skimmers and 4 returns...

Have you actually been in a gunite spa before?? If not, I suggest that you use one before you buy one, just so that you know what you are getting.

Good luck with your new pool build, and thanks for posting.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
h2o,

I wouldn't want to select a pool bidder that way. You need to spec out the same spec requirements to all bidders and get them to price it. They need to bid to your base requirements. Sounds like you're finalizing them now. Then get all bidders to bid to your spec, and provide a copy of their standard contract. Your selection criteria should be value (not price only), quality, and a number of other items that are personal to you like fitness to work with you. Then using your per-determined selection criteria select the top 2. Next "condition" them which is (usually) minor changes to make them truly comparable. One item that often needs a lot of conditioning is the contract. This can be as important as your specs. Their standard contract is almost always written by their lawyers for them. It is often (usually) unacceptable with no changes. Look at this document for additional information and ask any questions you may have.

I hope this helps.

Chris

If you have the space, I’d add more decking. Other than the one area shown with lounge chairs, you only have 3.5’ around the perimeter of the pool. I’d especially round out that area with the bar stools, if you really plan to have seating there, give yourself some room to walk around the chairs. Looks like you have patio space up by the house, so if that’s the primary gathering place, you might be ok. Our setup is similar, with a patio/outdoor kitchen area up closer to the house, but people still like to hang around the pool. We have 2 large deck areas around the pool, as well as a couple of areas wide enough for tables and chairs, and we still don’t seem to have enough room when we have a large gathering.
Good luck!

BTW - love that mountain range view in the background of your drawings! We don’t have that view from Flower Mound.

One equipment note: if your pool will have significant sun exposure, consider a chiller. We added one a few years ago and it made a world of difference. Water temps would hit mid-90s prior to chiller installation. I can now keep water temp in the low 80s. You can always add it later, like we did. Just make sure you have space in the equipment area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finalizing quotes and design plans. Builder uses moss rock boulders for the grotto/waterfall and says "salt will destroy those" unless you really maintain everything-when I asked about sealing them, he said no the sealant would end up washing into the pool....

But researching on TFP, I see where others have sealed these types of boulders. I just want to make sure I am on the right track-would sealing them be advisable, or not necessary?

Thanks

Finalizing quotes and design plans. Builder uses moss rock boulders for the grotto/waterfall and says "salt will destroy those" unless you really maintain everything-when I asked about sealing them, he said no the sealant would end up washing into the pool....

But researching on TFP, I see where others have sealed these types of boulders. I just want to make sure I am on the right track-would sealing them be advisable, or not necessary?

Thanks
Review this construction process as they may have similar set up.

We've signed contract-permit was approved and now we wait.....
just keep swimming GIF

Glad that you are back in the midst of a new pool. The design is nice. I have a waterfall and really enjoy it.
This is my views:
Appears there is only 1 skimmer. I would get 2 at opposite ends because wind has a lot to do with where surface debris floats to even more so then the circulation within the pool. Have each skimmer independently run back to the equipment pad.

Its shows a 2hp VS Pump for pool circulation which is good
The second pump is a 1.5hp SuperFlo. I assume this is for the waterfall. Ensure you have separate circulation path for the waterfall. Mine has suction on wall (looks like bottom drain covers), directly to a pump then return to the waterfall. It will not go through the filter. Also, it is all with 2inch PVC suction and return lines. It should be controlled completely independent of the main pool/spa circulation. Ensure the PB has designed the waterfall to meet your expectations.

The 3rd pump is a booster pump to drive your pressure side Polaris 280 cleaner. I would drop this altogether and just go with a robot - need to set up a GFCI outlet within code near pool. This saves you maintenance of a pump and an old technology cleaner.

Ensure that you have control of spillover from spa to pool. Such that you can turn it on or off. Also, ensure the PB sets up the VS pump properly to provide the spillover effect to meet your expectations.

Definitely try to go to using a SWCG.

As a minimum you want 3-4ft width of decking next to the pool. You do not want people, kids, running in the grass then jumping in the pool. Also, if you feel there could be drainage issues, then have drains built in under the decking to move water away.

Your equipment pad looks to be in an isolated part of yard. Not sure what trees or shade you have but best not to have your equipment exposed to sun all day long. If there is no natural shade, consider a semi-enclosure with a roof over the pad. Also have a light on it as well.

Autofill, heater and filter are all good. Get the physical part number for the Easy Touch with Screen Logic as there is a "light" version that most will say to steer away from.
Based on your advice we changed to a SWG, dropped booster pump and vacuum, made sure we have two skimmers, working on the amount of decking. And we went with a different builder that doesn't do pretty 3D designs but outlined something close to what the other guy did. Appreciate your helpful feedback.

Reactions: HermanTX and jark87
All of this rain is killing us-pool builder is behind understandably and we need our super wet yard to dry out before digging is even a possiblity and the forecast calls for a wetter June than normal. Should I even mention the mosquitoes?

All of this rain is killing us-pool builder is behind understandably and we need our super wet yard to dry out before digging is even a possiblity and the forecast calls for a wetter June than normal. Should I even mention the mosquitoes?
I can relate. We’re re-doing our outdoor kitchen and have no idea when the builder can start. Probably won’t be completed until late summer or early fall since we’re still in the permitting process. And my Spartan mosquito tubes aren’t workings at all this year! They really don’t work unless the temps are regularly hitting 85+, which we’ve only done on a couple of occasions. I haven’t even turned my chiller on yet this year - the latest into the season I’ve ever gone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.