San Diego, CA
:x , so first my water chemistry
Ph: 7.6
Free chlorine 3.5
Combined none
Cya: 40
Alkalinity 80
Current filter : DE using zro cellulose fiber, 48sqft

So i have never had any issues with my pool over the past 3 years, never green, never cloudy,
A month ago i bought an alaklinity increaser from lesliepool to increase alkalinity from 60 to 80, i admit this is probably a coincidence but some white stuff apeared ton top of the water that, never went away. I am putting a link to the photos but if i want to describe it, they are very tiny particles that when grouped together look like mucus, if you try to pick it up with your finger, its almost impossible but when i manage to, immediately disappears if touched. These particles are not found on the bottom as they are very light weight.
Someone told me it might be calcuim as my calcium level is around 600, i bought the stain remover from leslie and 0 difference. Also they are not found on the bottom at all. Also they suddenly showed up one day.
Someone else told me your DE filter is probably torn, i openned the filter and checked all the grids. They all have a very tiny (smaller than pen tip) hole near the top where the mesh connects to the skeleton on the seam lines. But other than that all good,. One more info, i switched from normal DE to zeo cellulose fiber about a year ago.
I am planning on switching to normal DE if that doesn't fix it, change all the grids, if that also doesnt fix it, i really am out of options. Please help :(
Below are two images.

Attachments

• 20200425_110948.jpg
    20200425_110948.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 20200425_091005.jpg
    20200425_091005.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 87
Hi, welcome to TFP! What do you normally use to chlorinate your pool? Your FC is on the low side for a CYA of 40ppm. It is best to keep your FC around 5-7ppm to prevent algae growth. This could be calcium foaming, it could be foaming from algaecide or other products, or it could be the start of something organic growing in your water. I would try the SLAM Process process to see if it clears up the problem.

Hi thanks for getting back to me. I use liquid chlorine. I did try shocking ( increasing chlorine to 7) but nothing changed. I also have never had any algae ever.
As for the calcium, since it kinda showed up one day, and the stain remover did nothing, i like to think that ka not the cause but if it is changing the water would be my only option and last resort

If it is something organic a slam would kill it. If it is something alive and replicating you can't filter it out faster than it multiplies. Your chlorine is on the low side, so theoretically you could have something organic growing in the water. Your water looks cloudy in the posted photos, in addition to the floating white stuff. If you don't want to attempt a slam at this point, try running an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you fail the test you need to complete the slam process. Also attempting a slam is easier and less expensive than replacing filter parts that may not need replacing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more info, i switched from normal DE to zeo cellulose fiber about a year ago
Does this stuff float? If so, the hole in the filter grid would allow it to pass. If you have some zeo sand, place a bit in a cup or bucket and see if it replicates the substance in the pool.

I found this thread...

Does this stuff float? If so, the hole in the filter grid would allow it to pass. If you have some zeo sand, place a bit in a cup or bucket and see if it replicates the substance in the pool.
I tried it in the pool, it mostly floats down, so it was hard to track, i tried it in a cup. It probably hard to see but only 10-22 are floating on the surface and its really hard to say if they are the same thing but its very possible. I want to try normal DE once before payong 100$+ for new grids. My are only 2.5 yr old

I found this thread...

Thank you, i think that is very possible. Ill switch the DE next week. And if not solved change the grid. I really hope that would resolve it.

I tried it in the pool, it mostly floats down, so it was hard to track, i tried it in a cup. It probably hard to see but only 10-22 are floating on the surface and its really hard to say if they are the same thing but its very possible. I want to try normal DE once before payong 100$+ for new grids. My are only 2.5 yr old
Ok so i put much more and yes, it is the DE fiber. Beside from the tiny hole in the grid, is there anything else that i need to check? The plastic that sits on top of the grids was in decent shape and small mesh screen on the top pipe of tgaty structure also looked good.

Sam, please take a step back before you start spending money on DE and new grids. Let have you do the OCLT as seen here: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test I would push your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA as seen here FC/CYA Levels for a while to see if this helps. I would also have your pump/filter running 24/7 while doing all of this. You can also put a t-shirt in your skimmer to try to catch this stuff what ever it may be.

Sam, please take a step back before you start spending money on DE and new grids. Let have you do the OCLT as seen here: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test I would push your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA as seen here FC/CYA Levels for a while to see if this helps. I would also have your pump/filter running 24/7 while doing all of this. You can also put a t-shirt in your skimmer to try to catch this stuff what ever it may be.
Hi kimkat,
Thanks for the suggestion. I just wasn't to understand why do you think a shock would resolve the issue if (most likely) these particles are floating DE? Also if they are floating DE and my filter is not catching them. Does it mean a hole in the grid or there could be other things wrong with the filter. One last question ( maybe stupid one) when you say run 24/7 at what speed? My pool is 14 to 15k gallons. Can i run it at low speed of 700?

Just to be sure we are on the same page, no is saying you need to 'Shock' the pool. They are saying you need to follow the SLAM Process

You might view and

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.